Potatoes - when do I harvest?

This year is the first time I've planted potatoes, and need some advice when to harvest. I live in the Dallas area and I planted some "Yukon Gold" seed potatoes around mid march - in raised beds. Its now the 30th of May... approximately 65-75 days since they were planted. The top growth is still green and strong. When should I harvest? Will the top growth die back, like onions?

My worry is that its getting pretty warm, and I dont want to destroy my potatoes by waiting too long - if I need to harvest before it gets too hot. I'm thinking they will start to die back soon... but I was hoping someone could confirm that.

THANKS! Happy Gardening!

Beerme

We used to wait for the plant to start dying back. BUT there is no reason not to take a peak and enjoy early spuds. Those few immature always were the best. Plant more and harvest early ...sounds like a slogan.

Bill but Texas heat may have a different culture issue.

Reply to
Bill who putters

Potatoes can be harvested when the tops are still growing actively and if they are harvested at this stage they are called 'new' potatoes. You can also harvest when the tops die off and you can dig the whole lot or leave tham in the ground and just harvest as you need them.

We are doing the latter now (it's early winter here) and I have to say that I prefer to do this as the spuds then don't go green in storage.

If you don't want to dig the lot, and want to let them grow on till the tops die off but just test them for size and taste you can always 'bandicoot' them. Just wiggle your hand down into the soil and drag up enough spuds to eat.

Reply to
FarmI

Small potatoes can be taken after the plants bloom. For a larger harvest, wait until the leaves start to die back at the end of the season.

Reply to
Phisherman