potato storage

How do folk do it? I'm a bit peeved on checking four days after lifting and storing (left them out to dry for a couple of hours as advised by El Flowerdew, but couldn't make the evening go cold) in a cardboard box, to find spots of mildew already and some areas of eww yuk, pus. Squeeze it with a finger and it shhots a good zitsworth.
Do I have to turn it all into shepherds pie topping and freeze it?
cheers
On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 18:14:45 +0100, "Oxymel of Squill"

light, in the coolest, non-refrigerated, and well-ventilated part of the house. Do not store near onions!

I use cardboard cartons(closed, but with stabbed ventilation holes). Sacking sacks (potato sacks) are ideal if you can get hold of any. Paper sacks are a bit sweaty, plastic sacks are a complete no-no. You then need a cool frost free airy place to store them.
I'm a bit peeved on checking four days after lifting and

The pus stuff is maybe blight. Blighted potatoes won't store.
Janet
Throw in an apple or two to absorb moisture