Post Hole Digger And Dry Farming Tomatoes This Season

Page 2 of 2
On Apr 6, 7:26 am, White snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (EVP MAN) wrote:

You are attempting to water stress your plant in order to produce a superior taste, is that accurate?
As I said earlier, do share your results and don't let a "Shelton rant" rattle ya. However, do keep what Sheldon and David wrote in the back of your mind because you will see what they are talking about. You are digging a container in the ground which is not the best route to go for a number of reasons. Also you are not truly dry farming, you are just restricting water, which w/o a cover to control the environment is worthless. Humidity is another factor. You must consider the plant's water use efficiency and the plant physiology. I believe you should expect more BER in this experiment of yours. Personally I think your taking the wrong approach to improving tomato flavor. I am of the opinion it's not the water... it's more genetics and nutrients. But experimenting is fun and one way to learn.
I assume you have your soil test results to guide you before you start digging these container holes in the clay soil?
Add pictures here
✖
My entire garden is dug down to at least 10 to 12 inches. I use a Mantis tiller to work up the soil. The extra depth down another foot is where each plant will go. I figure it won't hurt to have nice lose soil to that depth. And yes, dry farming does produce fruit with more BER from what I understand.
Rich
Add pictures here
✖
On Apr 9, 12:52 pm, White snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (EVP MAN) wrote:

OK, good to know. I was assuming you actually meant: " I'll simply use a post hole digger and dig down about two and a half foot deep where each plant will be placed. "
Add pictures here
✖