Pond Guards

Hi there
I read somewhere on gardenbanter that someone was looking at protecting their pond from children falling in, well i purchased a pond safety fence that simply clips together so as to make it as big as you like, mine is 2ft high and i puchased 6 3ft section it looks really good round my pond and i have total peace of mind knowing my little ones are safe the cost was only 90.00 for all 6 pieces. What price would you put on a childs life.
The company Is call The Spalding Gardener can't find number but is on their web site www.spaldinggardener.co.uk
Hope this is of help to who ever might need it
Regards Pete
--
Peter Garwell

wrote in

2 feet high? i really hope you don't test your theory that "your little ones are safe" because a 2' fence isn't going to keep a toddler out of a pond. my goats did a great job of keeping my kid away from the pond. so good that even now that he's almost 8 & allowed to play in the pond, the goats still try to keep him away. lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there

The actual "pond guard" system is a cap that fits just under the water surface of a pond and really does protect children, makes it possible to "walk on water." It spoils some other possible uses of a pond. You're quite right a 2 foot snap-together fence wouldn't do the trick. It might actually make the pond more dangerous if a child leans on the fenced, climbs on it, trips over it.
Ponds and children are a frightening combination, and yet I remember days when most neighborhoods had run-off ponds that were seasonally mini-lakes, and no child in my neighborhood ever drowned in one, though we all played around them catching polywogs and getting daphnia and wrigglers to feed our pet fish.
I love the image of goats keeping an eye on a child's safety.
-paghat the ratgirl
--
visit my temperate gardening website:
http://www.paghat.com

Hmmm. I don't have any fences around my natural pond. If the kids fall in, all the better!