Pomegranate tree

Do pomegranate trees fruit from new wood or old?

I've got a full sized, well-established, pomegranate tree in my side yard. Due to my east side neighbor's new "wall" last year the tree can no longer grow the way it's been for years and is forcing itself towards the walkway on its west side. She's doing very well, but I'd like to get in there and thin her out a bit. She's got establish fruits, too, small tough they may be.

Rob

Reply to
Robert

Ours form blossoms and fruit on two year old wood (maybe three year) and older but productio drops off as the branch gets older. Ours also grow as shrubs - we never trained them as trees early on. We also prune pretty severly removing about 1/3 of the canes each year. Seem to put out a lot of new suckers every year to replace the older ones. -Olin

Reply to
omi

Pomegranate trees have canes?

Reply to
Travis

As in "... any of various slender woody stems; esp. an elongated flowering or fruiting stem usu. arising directly from the ground." If trained as a tree they might not do that but if grown as a bush they certainly do. The new shoots will grow straight up to 5 - 6 feet the first year with only leaves on the sides - no side branches - and will flower and bear fruit within the next two years. At least ours do that. -Olin

Reply to
omi