Pomegranate in So. Calif.

I bought a little tree at our SLOLA sale. Info from on-line sites is so far encouraging.
Being short of space, I was thinking of starting it in a very large container which used to house my defunct blueberries (wipes away a tear).
Wondering if anyone in So Calif coastal or similar climates would kindly share experience with this shrub/tree.
Your take on this?
TIA
HB