Polymer crystals

Does anywhere know the best type of polymer crystals for plants ( veggies.) And the best place for price. I'm in the LA area, so that would be best to avoid shipping costs, but if I can get them at a good price elsewhere I'll do it mail order. I am looking for at least 5lb bags.
Helen
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (HPBudlong) wrote:

veggies.) And

it mail

First read "Deadly Polymers for Your Garden" http://www.paghat.com/polymers.html Coupla quotes:
"Many of the "superabsorbant" properties claimed by polymer manufacturers are exaggerated, & during biodegradation these polymers even reverse their effect depriving plants of moisture. Woodchips, quality compost, or peat do the same job adequately, plus the woodchips or compost provide safe plant nutrients & a medium for benificial micro-organisms such as polymers retard."
"Frank Shields actually observed soils with biodegrading superabsorbant polymers repelling water so that the ground remained too dry. But Jim McNelly of www.composter.com reports a different reason for this dryness, as shown in assessment studies of which he was part. The polymers biodegrade into a taffy-like substance that do not release their moisture for plants to use, plus do not permit moisture to reach the surrounding soil."
(HPBudlong) wrote:

acrylamide is a neurotoxin, and although the "poly" is suposed to be harmless, as a biochemist, I have a tendency not to trust such statements & besides .. what is known about the biodegradation pathways ? although they are "claimed" to be inert in the environment some compounds do not need to be there in huge concentrations to be a health nuisance .. just MHO