Podocarpus Pruning (w/pics)

Hi,

Two and half years ago, a landscaper planted two young Podocarpus plants (see links for pics). They needed staking when planted and still do. We have not really done any pruning, except for one wild branch on the smaller plant, which I pretty much cut way back. I do not know how to manage the growth on these plants. I do not want to prune incorrectly, but do not know what to do to get a straighter trunk and control the long branches. The branches sometimes will stick out pretty far and then make a 90 degree turn going vertical, which really looks bad. You can see the beginnings of this again on the PC1.JPG pic on the right side at the bottom.

Hopefully the pics will allow you to see the plants now and permit some suggestions. I just want to properly take care of them.

Thanks,

- Phil

Reply to
Phil