Plumeria- as indore plant in Zone-5/6 USA

I live in Cincinnati - OHIO (i think it is on the zone 5 and 6 border). I am trying to grow the plumeria (nostalgia from the upbringing in South India)! It grew nicely to a 1 foot high plant through the summer when I kept it outdoors. I brought it inside in October middle. Slowly she dropped leaves one by one. I did keep her in the sunniest room- a foot away from a North-West facing window. Now- I am not sure if I should water it- or move it to a darker spot- or fertilize it. Without leaves it looks pretty sad. I know the gurus in this group - or those of the "plumeria.org" will find me a way to keep it from dying (if it has not already passed away)! Please help. If replying to me directly- remove the nospam from the email address. MANY MANY MANY THANKS Rama Bommaraju
I don't think you should do anything with your plumeria except water it once a month. In a few months you'll see little leaves sprouting again, and that's your signal that it'll soon be time to put it out again in the sunniest area. It'll probably grow a couple of feet and maybe bloom. zemedelec
If it is still firm, there's nothing to worry about. Give a spray of water 2-3X a week to prevent dehydration. Don't start watering until new growth begins or you will definately risk rotting the plant. In Cincinnati, I'd try to find a south facing window for my plumeria, especially in fall/winter/spring. Dust or spray with a good miticide when new growth starts to prevent spider mite infestations which can get really bad on plumerias. Good Luck. Gary

I live in subtropical Florida. My plumerias have dropped their leaves here also. Follow the advice of the others and go sparingly on the water.
I bought a plumeria which was 6 inches tall and in one season it grew to have three huge lateral branches and 7 feet tall. After two seasons it's 9 feet tall and touches the top of the greenhouse. The foliage fell off and I do nothing with it. When the sun is high in the sky again, it will signal the plant to start to grow and I'll have my plumeria blooms by about late July.
I've been told I could completely remove it from the soil and store it in a cool, dry place over the winter. This is a tough plant, so do not over water it over the winter when it is dormant.
opined:

Mine's blooming right now in Michigan, it's in a south facing window. Though it's lost alot of buds due to spider mites around 2 months ago as the flower spike was developing. cheers, Jim

That is excellent- Does it have leaves or not now as it is blooming? Do you fertilize and water it when there are no leaves? RB
I give mine a rest in the winter.
On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 16:54:23 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@asdf.com opined:

[hi there... plumeria are deciduoa plants and so are meant to lose all leaves an flowers in the winter months. as the weather starts warming up again, you will see the tips of th plumeria start to grow odd little lumps (the new leaves) THIS is th time to fertilize. in winter it is dormant... asleep, so no point fertilising....as i wakes up from it's slumber, you want to give it a boost so it wake right up!!! fertiliser should be given regularly (every two weeks for a liqui fert.) all through spring and summer, then start slowing down (every - 4 weeks) as autumn gets going.... it's leaves will start to dro around autumn anyway. happy growing plumeria lover from down south, Rena +---------------------------------------------------------------- | Attachment filename: p. 'intense rainbow'.jpg |View attachment: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?postid32793 +---------------------------------------------------------------- - RapturousRena ----------------------------------------------------------------------- posted via www.GardenBanter.co.uk