Plumb Tree Desecration!

Hello,
I have very limited gardening experience.....
We moved into this property which had a large, well tended garden, by a retired couple.
It had this lovely Plumb Tree which produced a huge harvest each year. However, I had not pruned it for 3 years and branches had grown too large and the plumbs were threatening to bring them down.
I decided to prune it back last Autumn, however, I think I may have been too harsh. Now it has many of sprouts from the branches and, not surprisingly, has produced little fruit. I am told that it has been "shocked" and is furiously growing branches. I am now afraid to take off the sprouting shoots in case it makes the situation worse!
Question is, how do I bring this under control to a manageable sized tree that will produce fruit once again?
Many thanks!
Darren.
--
Darren Wingham

Add pictures here
✖
Darren Wingham wrote:

Must be one of those rare plumb bob trees... be alert to plumber's crack.
Add pictures here
✖
On May 10, 1:35 pm, Darren Wingham <darren@realpeoplephotography-DOT- co-dot-uk> wrote:

Depending how you pruned the "plumbs" (aka plums). You needed to prune the OLD wood, not the new. If you really want action out of this "plumb" tree in future, look up correct pruning technique on the Web, and learn to recognize what should come and out what shouldn't. Even better: Spring for a professional to come in and rectify the situation, and have him/her teach you proper technique in the process. Would be $ well spent.
HB
Add pictures here
✖
Great, thanks for the advice.
You see I've had so little to do with this fruit, up until now, I even get the spelling wrong!!
Any more tips on plum tree care greatly appreciated.
Darren.
Bob F;920860 Wrote:

--
Darren Wingham

Add pictures here
✖
On 5/11/11 1:08 AM, Darren Wingham wrote:

Now that everyhone has had a good laugh, you need to tell us where the tree is. That is, what is your climate, which determines when you should prune the tree.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
"David E. Ross" wrote:

For pruning stone fruit trees knowing the climate is really not necessary, that they grow there tells the climate, obviously. Pruning is best accomplished according to season and growing habit. "always prune plum trees when they are growing strongly, mid-June is a good time." http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_veg_diary/fruit_veg_mini_project_march_2e_plum.asp
Add pictures here
✖
On 5/11/11 11:54 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_veg_diary/fruit_veg_mini_project_march_2e_plum.asp
Ornamental (non-fruiting) stone fruits should be pruned just after they flower. After pruning, the new growth in late spring and summer will produce next year's flowers. Pruning too late will remove next year's flowers.
Fruiting stone fruits are pruned while dormant. In my climate, that is in January. Then, I can most easily tell which is new fruiting wood snd thin it without removing all of it. Where winters produce snow and freezes, pruning should be done just before buds open. Then, you can remove wood that failed to survived the winter in addition to thinning new fruiting wood.
Many varieties of plum do not really require significant pruning. They only require corrective pruning: removing dead, broken, or crossing branches.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
✖
On Wed, 11 May 2011 16:17:49 -0700, "David E. Ross"

Changing the subject always makes one look intelligent.
Add pictures here
✖