Plug for HEBE

I just LOVE this shrub! It is from New Zealand (I think). Sturdy, easy-care, grows fast. What's not to love? The one I have all over the garden is HEBE Wiri Blush. Lovely pink flowers. There are many varieties. Lots of Web sites.

Check out if suitable for your climate. Mine is So. Calif coastal.

Here's one So. Calif grower's site:

Hope you enjoy; I sure do!

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

I really dislike all the hebes.

I do like a particular parahebe that I have in my garden but i've never yet beena ble to fin dout what its proper name is. I plant that parahebe through my garden a lot and have also givne away lots of baby plants from then.

I've successfully managed to kill all the hebes that people have given me after first saying thinks and trying to look grateful.

Reply to
Farm1

Could you post WHY you don't like them? And if possible, what varieties were the ones you got rid of?

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Dunno. I just don't and I really have no real idea why I don't like them. It's not the least bit logical because as you say they are reasonable tough and look reasonably presentable to most gardeners and they flower. I just don't like them.

I'm also not fond of tulips but love daffodils.

I remember once being asked why I didn't like tulips and my auto response was that they were stiff and formal looking. Luckily the person who asked the question didn't press me because I later realised that daffodils could equally be described as being stiff and formal. I also don't really like camellias but do have some in the garden (not planted by me, nor looked after by me yet they still manage to survive)

And if possible, what varieties were the ones you got rid of?

Sorry Higgs. To do that i'd needed to have taken note of them rather than to have just shoved them in the ground in a distant spot and then not visited them again for many months had passed, I've done in 2 of them that way. Onee was a tiny, miniature looking one but that is the closest I can get to a name or description.

I once gave a friend a Euphorbia (because I love them) and she planted it in a place where she thought it would die and it is THE biggest, healthiest and lush looking euphorbia that I've ever seen, I'm jealous and she's smoldering because she didn't manage to kill it.

Reply to
Farm1

Farm1 wrote: ...

very interesting how tastes go.

one friend hates tulips and i grow many different kinds of them, and i'm deathly allergic to lilac bushes (but love them) and she adores those... it's like cats and dogs.

some types, strike me as bland, but to me that is because they have been bred into the cup shape. i much prefer the lily flowering tulips in contrast or some of the species tulips.

most plants here have to survive after being watered a few times and maybe they get trimmed once a season if that. if they can't pass that test then they're worm food.

too funny. :)

songbird

Reply to
songbird

ok. thanks for (reasonable) reply. Tastes differ. I was just afraid there was some kind of weird..I dunno...

Interesting the pros & cons of loving/hating plants!

talk about love/hate! I had Hibiscus in a long planter bed on the W. side of the house. Lovely flowers. But PLAGUED with Whitefly! I tried *everything*. No luck. Finally had to give up & tear them out.

Meantime, another Hibiscus (sorry didn't note down either variety) on the N.side of the house has been roaring along for decades. Not so many flowers, but also not a hint of Whitefly. Go figure!

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson