Please ID These Crocus-like Flowers

Hi everyone: I live in Southern Ontario, Canada. In the summer of 2004 I had a new sidewalk put in front of the house - it faces south. In the fall of 2004 I planted crocus bulbs along the edge of the sidewalk, alternating bewteen yellow and blue.

're now blooming for the 2nd season, and after a long winter, it sure is nice to see them. A pity they don't last long.

right in the middle of the lawn little flowers have spontaneously sprung up that look like the blue crocuses I planted but they're slightly different.

someone please help me to ID these "unsolicited" flowers, and suggest how they might have gotten there? I intend to be careful when mowing. Many thanks in advance.

Denny

Reply to
Denny

I think they are crocus too, just a different variety. They look like some I planted last fall that have bloomed for the first time this spring. Maybe the squirrels planted them for you.

Jacqui

Reply to
axeman

They are crocus. Both yellow and blue varieites.

As for how they got spread...Crocus will disperse via seed like most other bulb plants.

Daniel B. Wheeler

dwheeler