Please Help Support a BAN on Primate testing in Europe

To: All European Citizens who care about Animals

This is a critical time. The European Commission (EC) is currently revising the law - known as Directive 86/609 - that governs animal experiments across Europe.

86/609 is a hugely powerful Directive that has power of life and death over millions of animals across the continent - setting out minimum standards for how and whether animals can be used in experiments.

A staggering ten million animals are used in outdated and wasteful experiments in European laboratories every year. The Directive is supposed to ensure "the protection of animals used for experimental and other scientific purposes" but the huge numbers show that it's just not doing that.

There is a real possibility that with enough support the EC will ban all primate tests as part of the revised law.

Written Declaration 40/2007 urges the European Parliament to use the revision process of Directive 86/609/EC as an opportunity to establish a timetable for replacing the use of all primates in scientific experiments with alternatives. The Declaration will fall on 7th September and the signatures of half the MEPs in the Parliament is needed by then.

If you care about animals visit the following website to urge them to sign Written Declaration 40/2007.

you want to do more:-

Please write to the European Commission and ask them to ban primate tests. To help, a prepared letter can be found at

address is:- Mr. Stavros Dimas Commissioner for Environment European Commission B-1049, Brussels, Belgium

Please tell all your colleagues and friends in the UK and Europe about Written Declaration 40/2007.

For information on Alternatives to Animal Testing and why they work visit the Dr Hadwen Trust

further information:-
You

Tony, Nottingham, England

Reply to
TONY-GAL

And this has what to do with gardens? If the primates are excused from testing should we expect them to come around weekly and help with the weeding?

Reply to
John McGaw

Nothing but if we do what these whack jobs want toxicity of new pesticides will be directly tested on humans.

After trying to poison rats and mice and seeing if a pesticide burns rabbits eyes and effect on minnows and shrimp, you screen with primates.

Reply to
Frank

That's a silly and frivolous comment on what appears to be a serious and worthwhile issue.

All living things are connected.

Persephone

Reply to
Persephone

Will the adolescents find no end to their frivolity? The lady is talking about torturing sentient beings. You twisted f*ck.

Reply to
Billy

snip...

I don't know much about adolescents any more, not having been one for some decades.

But what I _do_ know about is persons who post wildly off-topic material in newsgroups which I normally enjoy reading. If someone feels strongly about a topic, fine, great, wonderful. Let them support it and advocate for it, march in the streets if they feel like it. But if they feel motivated to write about it let them do it in the proper forum. Keep discussions in a "recreation gardens" forum to the subject of recreational gardens. Political discussion clearly does not belong in rec.gardens unless it involves an impingement of politics upon recreational gardening. If the EU was deciding upon the banning of home-grown veggies then this is the place for it but not otherwise.

Oh. By the way Billy, you really need to learn to reply to posts. The general idea is that one replies to posts directly and not several levels down the thread. But before you tackle that concept, clean up your language. If nothing else, your vulgar writing labels you as one whose ideas have no value.

Reply to
John McGaw

As you point out, Sir, this immoderate exhortation is wildly off subject for this newsgroup. Thank god, we have men like you here to get things right.

My deepest condolences for the manifest shock and horror, that you must have felt, to have your personal tranquillity inconveniently ruptured by a solicitation for help, in a public forum, to shelter animals (animals for god's sake) from inhuman and unnecessary pain.

You are obviously a person of great sensitivity in that you noticed the inappropriateness of the post immediately. . . . Still, . . . there is this gross matter of your mocking the helpless tortured animals that appears to belie any trace of humanity in your character, Sir. I would venture that that any of these animals, including primates, who may have been poached from dwindling populations in preserves, to take part in human drug testing, that may not be applicable to humans, would love and come and enjoy the pleasures of your tranquil verdant yard, far from the sounds of screeching pain emanating from it's neighbors cage. This total lack of empathy, care, or understanding was what probably illicit my characterization of you as a "twisted f*ck". I'm certain that with little effort I could be quite more specific.

In as much as I have responded to you, Sir, and not the OP, it is due the exceeding contempt I have for your character, bereft as it is of humanity, charm, or wit. Your instruction and pedagogy are without merit as I have no lesson to learn from you, Sir.

Your distain for vulgar* language displays your contempt for the common man (and wisdom) and exhibits your tenuous attempts at elitism.

You are a very sad and barren example of a human being.

John Donne once said, "No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main." A sentiment that isn't restricted to humanity but includes all living beings within its' fold.

You, on the other hand, boy, strike me more as a peninsula, if you take my meaning.

* Etymology: Middle English, from Latin vulgaris of the mob, vulgar, from volgus, vulgus mob, common people

Reply to
Billy