PLEASE help me identify this tree

I have these trees in my backyard that are basically more like WEEDS than trees. They seem to grow anywhere, and they grow tall. The trunks or stalks of these trees get fairly thick but they are extremely easy to cut through. The leaves leave a strong, peculier oder on your hands when touched.
I had a tree guy come to my house and he told me these were "Lanthis trees". I looked all over the internet and found no mention of such things.
Please help me identify these trees. Thanks.
Ailanthus altissima aka "Stink Tree"
snipped-for-privacy@localnet.com wrote:

YEP, that's the one. Thank you. I'm wondering if I should irradicate these trees from my yard? I already had to get TWO of them cut out that were growing out of the side of my house (down where the basement windows, below ground level, were).
And is it my imagination? Or do these trees seem to "latch on" to other plants, trees, and rose bushes, growing right next to them and sapping thier engergies??
What are your suggestions on how to deal with these plants? Thanks.
The Space Boss wrote:

Googling produced a mass of useful hits, such as:
http://tncweeds.ucdavis.edu/esadocs/ailaalti.html
You're welcome.
The Ailanthus altissima will just about take over any area where it is allowed to grow. Quite a noxious invader in all parts of the US.
Roundup is effective against ailanthus. Just spray it on as many leaves as possible. Killing it before removing it is better than cutting the trunks and leaving live roots in the ground.
-- Dr. Yucca: Nature makes plants, humans make weeds.
raycruzer wrote:

Just curious: why couldn't you just cut the tree to the trunk and dump the roundup on the trunk? That'll kill the roots, right?