plants you let live about

Page 1 of 2
I let one mullein self seed just because I like the old fashion history it projects. Got just one Russian Broad Leaf Comfey as a reminder of the chickens we had. Could turn either into many via seed or root cuttings. Then again I got some hops I can't kill which might be just one monster vine. Have anything about you sentimental about?
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?
Bill who putters wrote:

me? no, i'm practical as much as i can be, the management is more sentimental and likes hollyhocks and any volunteers which start in the limestone.
today i was shown a single white poppy (amid the whole front yard which is full of several kinds of red). i will try to encourage more of them for the next year. :) that is about as sentimental as i get.
unless you consider grapes.
and tulips,
and delphiniums,
and rhubarb,
and ...
hold it, was this a trick question? :)
songbird

Yup a trick question designed to get me looking at my garden with the eyes of others. I like delphiniums but they don't like it here. Love rhubarb but have a sun shade problem. Tulips are treated like annuals due to squirrels same with caladiums.
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?
Whenever poppy seedlings emerge in the veg beds (which they do with regularuty, loving to germinate in disturbed ground as they do) my wife always says (regardless of what crop they are competing with) "Can't we just leave it to grow".
One or two always make it ;)
+-------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: moto_0205.jpg | |Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid 116| +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
--
Steve Kind

Steve Kind wrote:

we have thousands here as they love the crushed limestone pathways. Ma says that we couldn't have planned it and she loves it. it is very dramatic the whole front yard is now covered with them. we planted them originally in the Red garden and they've wandered since.
finding the one white one is amusing because for a change it is in one of the White gardens (mostly yarrow and daisies there now).
i do not like them as much because they harbor black spot (which has knocked back some of the clematis this year with all the rain).
as it goes... :)
songbird
songbird wrote: ...

http://www.anthive.com/flowers/poppies.jpg
songbird

Like the image a lot the sky comes out like a water color painting. What state do reside in ? Looks like Pennsylvania or Maryland I'd wild guess.
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?
Bill who putters wrote:

mid michigan, saginaw valley plain.
i don't have too many images posted under
http://www.anthive.com/flowers/flowers.html
skip over the wall of text and then there are a few more at the bottom. i posted them under a few resolutions for those who have faster or slower lines. my line here is very slow so it takes a good 15-30 minutes per image depending upon size. so i don't post many, but since we were talking about poppies and it they were poppin' i figured i'd take the time to post one. :)
songbird

The image is beautiful.
A few seconds with Gimp or Photoshop would deal nicely with the stop sign.
On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 12:46:12 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net wrote:

Can you crop out all those stones and paste in plantings... I like all those lovely spruce trees but there's something about all those stones I find visually disturbing... makes what is otherwise a pleasing landscape look like a drive-in movie lot with Psycho about to start... you can replace that stop sign with Alfred Hitchcock's image.

Beauty is always in the mind of the beholder.
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?
brooklyn1 wrote:

you haven't seen nothin' yet. ;)
do you know what a puddingstone is?
we have a large collection of rocks from all over the country. some day when i am not taking pictures of plants or doing otherwise things horticultural (or horrikultureal as you might think it) i will snap some pictures of the rocks so you can admire them in your nightmares.
songbird
snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net wrote:

thank you. i was showing Ma some pictures as i was posting that one and she said "you're getting better!" with the camera, but she never realises how many pictures i take which are basic record keeping pictures and not taken with composition in mind.
she has a fantastic eye for composition and i want her to start using my camera but she won't do it as it is electronic. most of the decorations around the yard and arrangements are hers with some input from me on engineering and layout.

:) hehe, i kinda like it, it appears in a few of my photos and i consider it a warning to all who might be considering gardening as a hobby. ;^)
i am currently uploading some more recent other pictures, so check back later for more under:
http://www.anthive.com/flowers/flowers.html
songbird

Poppies of Flanders, i.e. cocoliquot?
--
- Billy
In article

(Ignore previous post.)
Poppies of Flanders, i.e. coquelicots?
--
- Billy
Billy wrote: ...

can't recall the name in most cases, some varieties were from a neighbor who had a few last pods left before she abandoned her gardening. that was a few plants that started and then a few other packages of seeds. all were scattered in the red garden and then have migrated north across the driveway. there are still plenty to the south too, my picture could not capture it all.
songbird

Ignore Billy he is guy behind the screen. If you would like to get some images or music once in a while send email to snipped-for-privacy@snip.net.
Take out the golf warning and your mail box may be and mine more interesting. Billy is about.
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?
Bill who putters wrote:

if you have a website i will catch pics there, i don't like e-mailed pics sent to me, but this e-address is valid for text/personal messages (no jokes or chain mail please).
also i have been usenet writer/reading since mid-80s so i'm fine by it and enjoy playing with people even those who are otherwise strangely encrusted by life.
sometimes i liken a bit of lichen. :)
songbird

Billy is about "WHAT"?
--
- Billy

See "Coquelicots" in <alt.binaries.pictures.gardens>
These are the poppies that we buy on "Veterans Day"
--
- Billy