plants to repel pests

I have read that fritillaria are good at repelling tree rats, and other small mammals that would be a threat to my plants, and that these are likely to be available at the local garden supply shop next month. Great, I have lost several hundred dollars worth of bulbs to tree rats over the past few years.
Are there any other plants that can fit in my garden that would be effective at repelling these nasty critters? yes, I know they are cute, but only in public parks and in other people's gardens.
The beds in question are on the south side of the house and receive shade during the afternoon because of an old maple to the south west of the bed. The soil is reasonably good, though it will be amended with some sand, peat and composted manure when I modify them to be raised beds in the fall. In normal years, my lilies, irises, phlox (both tall and short), and a small assortment of other bulbs, give a fine display. I will be planting a couple hardy hibiscus and a rose of sharon in these beds, so I expect it will be a delicate balancing act to ensure the irises and lilies have sufficient drainage while the others have enough organic matter. Who says the soil in a large bed has to be homogeneous?
Thanks,
Ted
R.E. (Ted) Byers, Ph.D., Ed.D. R & D Decision Support Solutions http://www.randddecisionsupportsolutions.com / Healthy Living Through Informed Decision Making