Plants that need little water

Hi everyone,
Any advice on what summer plants I can put in a tub that'll be in the sun but won't get much watering - long story I won't bore you with but I could really do with some advice. So far I've drawn a blank. Cheers, Steve
--
Steakandchips

Add pictures here
✖
On May 20, 10:55 am, Steakandchips <Steakandchips.

Porchulaca (sp). I have heard some call it prim rose too. Bright flowers and very little water. MJ
Add pictures here
✖
x-no-archive: Yes
On 5/20/2010 5:50 PM, mj wrote:

First time poster here; YES, portulaca thrives on neglect, and dies in a spot with other plants getting plenty of water, I've learned. Pretty, cheerful, vibrant color. Downright promiscuous bloomers all season long.
Susan
Add pictures here
✖
In article

I grew up with Porchulaca but sadly it is not about. A remedial is in order.
Looks edible too. Sorry I can answer your specific query but I am grateful for the look about.
Porchulaca
<http://indianapublicmedia.org/eartheats/edible-flowers-chicken-fried-zuc chini-blossoms/>
You purists may want to look at the folks about. About 3 times...
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?
mj wrote:

Portulaca has succulent foliage, abd will do well with little water - any succulent will, and there are many. Zinnias, once established, seem to largely shrug off drought conditions, but will need watering once in a while. There are many others, too.
Tony
Add pictures here
✖

Try googling <xeric plants, container>
and have a look at <http://www.xeriscapedesign.com/Xeric_Shrubs.html
--
- Billy
✖
Steakandchips wrote:

Succulents. Try pigface.
David
Add pictures here
✖
In forth:

Lantana
http://phoenix.about.com/od/desertplantsandflowers/a/lantana.htm
Add pictures here
✖
ChairMan wrote:

stem), but when I googled up mints I came up with average water needs. Not sure what is going on. I have had mixed luck and currently have none.
Jeff
Add pictures here
✖

<http://www.gardeners.com/Drought-Tolerant-Perennials/5498,default,pg.htm l>
May be of interest.
--
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sansevieria_trifasciata>
--

<http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20090612/LIFESTYLE/906119860/1341?T itle=Drought-tolerant-beauty>
--
- Billy
✖

Be careful growing orange poppies. We are at war to eradicate close relatives of that plant over in Afghanistan. I'm trying to start some California Poppy as I write this. Seems I get a show then 2 years later they die out. Good news while trying to do maintenance on my Japanese Jungle Garden I notice one variety of Spider Wort Blue has decided to come back. Would have wrote Transendentia but was not sure of the spelling.
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?
✖

America all over again, but that's a rant for another time ;O)

--
- Billy
✖

Jeff, Lantana is in the Verbena Family. (not all plants with square stems are Mint Family; but all mints have square stems).
Emilie
Add pictures here
✖
mleblanca wrote:

It all makes so much sense, now!
If it wasn't for misconceptions, I'd have no conceptions.
Jeff

Add pictures here
✖

Are you talking about gardening again? What are we gonna do with you ;O)
--
- Billy
✖

Somewhere between zone 5 and 6 tucked along the shore of Lake Michigan on the council grounds of the Fox, Mascouten, Potawatomi, and Winnebago
Add pictures here
✖
Steakandchips;887854 Wrote: > Hi everyone,

> sun but won't get much watering - long story I won't bore you with but I > could really do with some advice. So far I've drawn a blank. Cheers, > Steve
Thanks guys, off to my garden centre tomorrow armed with all the info. Much appreciated.
--
Steakandchips

Add pictures here
✖