Plants/shrubs to grow at base of Leylandii hedge

I have a 50 metre Leylandii hedge which is well maintained and looked after.
It sits about 7 feet tall and about 3ft at its base.
My problem is this , I live on a hill with the hedge running down the side of my garden giving me my boundary.
The hedge then turns left for about 4 meters or so, bordering next doors garden.
My next door neighbour decided to tidy up the adjoining section of her garden , leaving a noticeable gap at the bottom of my hedge. Previous to that she had shrubs planted there which filled up the gap , without damaging the hedge.
My question is this. Is there a shrub , plant which can grow in this area , below and around the base of the hedge, blocking the gap and would last all year round. The plant, shrubs would need to able to grow in area approx 2 ft wide and could grow to maybe 1.5 foot high. It could grow up to 3 meters along the base of the hedge without any problems. Obviously would not need to damage hedge at all. The area gets sun and shade and would have fairly damp soil all year round.
Im a new comer to the forum so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Barlow
--
Barlow

Barlow;910605 Wrote:

hi Barlow, given the dimensions of the shrub required, you could try Euonymus fortunei 'Emerald and gold (golden variegated) or E. fort. Emerald Gaiety (silver variegated) both these would do well in that position. each would grow to about 2ft across so, several ould be needed to fill the 3 meter length. lannerman
--
lannerman

Cheers for that!!!!
--