Plants for Trellis

Hello everyone,
I've just joined and I'm hoping that someone out there will be able to help us.
I've recently erected a sturdy trellis above the dividing wall between my neighbours and our rear yards. I am desperate to find something to grow up and along the trellis which will:
1) Grow very quickly 2) Provide dense coverage all year round (we don't get on with our neighbours I'm afriad)
3) Still provide colour and ideally something that flowers 4) Will grow in containers (my back yard is concreted)
Does anyone have any ideas? If so, I'd really appreciate it if you'd share them. I have attached a picture.
I've never grown anything so I'm only learning. I've got as far as ivy and clematis (montana, armandii) but although I read that these can grow big, I don't know how fast they grow. I don't care about maintenance, we just want to screen our yard from next door as soon as possible.
Thank you Chris
+-------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: 21042010626.jpg | |Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid 847| +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
--
Beags

Beags wrote:

It would help if you told us where you are and what the climate is.
David

So many of them (Brit posters) do it, that I suspect they don't know that they are talking to the colonies as well.
--
- Billy
Hello,

Welcome to the garden.
--
- Billy
Okay, that's adequate sunlight. And you're in a warm temperate zone.

> England. We live in Yorkshire and the yard is south east facing. Because > of the houses around it gets the sun from morning through till mid > afternoon.

Hi chris i live further north than yourself edinburgh and i have star jasmine which covers well and smells great but there are lots of plants that would work well honeysuckle,or clematis montana. both can be vigorous for quick growth hope this helps.
mossie

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 16:07:42 -0400, Beags

Not my favorite but ivy should work, although it has tiny flowers. Providing coverage all year round narrows the choices. Most importantly you did not state how many hours of sun per day, moisture, soil conditions.
I have two trellises. One supports Don Juan roses, the other clematis.