Plants for Roadway Median

My neighborhood association is renovating a long-neglected roadway median in our Zone 9 Northern California neighborhood. There will be no irrigation to this median, so we're hoping to have some success with native plants. Any suggestions on plantings that will offer year-round interest and beauty to the island yet require a minimum of care?
Thanks.
-Fleemo

I would suggest plants that are native to your part of California.

USDA Zone 8
Try putting Xeriscape into a search engine.