Plantng Row of Shrubs, Bed or Circles?

I'm getting ready to plant a row of shrubs (mostly Nellie Stevens Holly) along the fence in the back yard of my new home in Austin. The builder laid St. Augustine sod so I'm trying to decide whether I should just make a small round bed for each shrub or just take out all the grass for the first few feet depth along the fence. We had a bed like that in our old yard, and I hated pulling weeds all the time. I'm thinking the grass will just die back naturally as the shrubs take over. Any thoughts?

Reply to
Cameron

Hi Cameron

Strip the sod away and make a bed. Trying to mow would be a chore with individual circles to trim.

Mulch the bed with landscape fabric and mulch.

Reply to snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca

Have a great day We finally got a nice day up here in Calgary Zone 3A.

Derryl

Horticulturalist

Reply to
Derryl Killan