Planting Trees

If a newly planted tree is declining because it has been planted too deep, it is best to start over again with a new healthy tree that is planted correctly.

---------------------------------------LINKS--------------------- TECHNO TREE BIOLOGY DICTIONARY online at

written by DR. ALEX L. SHIGO, one of the foremost authorities worldwide on tree systems today online at
Announcing the release of a 2-CD set by DR. SHIGO

John A. Keslick, Jr. Tree Biologist

of so-called TREE EXPERTS who do not understand TREE BIOLOGY!

About me - Some of my educational activities I have enjoyed are here

John A. Keslick, Jr.

True sometimes John. I have dug up and reset trees up to 5 years after initial installation with good results.This is especially effective on large transplants because they have so much reserve they can keep going for a few years even if improperly planted.

IMO most landscapers have no idea about how to plant a tree, how to water, what species behave in what way, etc. Landscape Architects are slightly better, but are not around enough to make a real difference on most projects.

Reply to
Mike LaMana

Why would you think Landscape Architects better able to assess needs of plants installed in the landscape than those who work with them every day? IME, LA's (in general - no flames, please) have remarkably little horticultural knowledge, as plant husbandry or even basic ID is lacking from most LA curriculums. Nor are they very hands-on in the field. Of course there are both skilled and non-skilled landscapers, but as a professional in horticulture myself, if I were drawing up sides, I'd go with a working landscaper everytime before I'd ask an LA any question about plant care or culture. Spatial analysis or layout and basic design, yes, but plant selection or care - never.

pam - gardengal

Reply to
Pam - gardengal

Pam - I agree with you to a degree, as the best horticulturists I know are landscapers. However, to become an LA one has to undergo a rigorous training that virtually assures they know a little about a lot of stuff, and lot about some stuff. I agree that in general these folks are horticulturally, botanically, and ecologically challenged -but they have had the benefit of some training in soils, plant science, plant ID, IPM, etc.

However, to be a landscaper (in most places and at most times) one has to have a pick up truck, a shovel, a mower, and some gumption - formal training of any sort be damned. No flames here please - I have billed myself as a landscaper for a portion of my career.

I know there are tons of exceptions, but after nearly 20 years at this these are my opinions today.

Reply to
Mike LaMana