Planting squashes/melons in TOPSOIL MOUNDS

Instructions for planting things like squashes and melons and pumpkins call for planting them in "mounds". Can I use store bought black "topsoil"for those mounds, and if so, how much 10-10-10 fertiliser should I add to them.

thanks

---------------------------------------------------------------------------- @ @ @ Please forgive my typos as my right hand is injured. @ @ @ char*p="char*p=%c%s%c;main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}";main(){printf(p,34,p,34);} "It's never too late to have a happy childhood."

Reply to
Ignoramus4443

I plant my squash & pumpkins in mounds, but I use the dirt in my garden to form the mounds. I don't buy topsoil. I fertilize my veggie gardens with Miracle Grow in one of those hose feeder fertilizers about once a week. Sue in Mi. (zone 5) Sue in Mi. (zone 5)

Reply to
SAS567

Mounds or hills are recommended to avoid soli compaction from heavy rains and to allow the soil to warm up faster. Just pulling them up witha hoe from garden soil is the best method. Just about two inches above the ground level and at least a foot across. A half cup of 10- 10-10 worked into the soil as you make the mound will do ok. Too much will inhibit germination.

Reply to
FarmerDill
  • Mounds or hills are recommended to avoid soli compaction from heavy
  • rains and to allow the soil to warm up faster. Just pulling them up
  • witha hoe from garden soil is the best method. Just about two
  • inches above the ground level and at least a foot across. A half
  • cup of 10- 10-10 worked into the soil as you make the mound will do
  • ok. Too much will inhibit germination.

half cup per how much soil?How big of a mound?

Reply to
Ignoramus5882