planting seeds under mulch

I'm a real newbie gardener, so please forgive what is probably a real duh! type of question...
My new house came with a large flower garden that is covered with a layer of what looks to me like pine-bark mulch. Lots of bulbs are coming up at the moment. I would like to plant some perennial flowers, such as Delphinium.
I bought the seeds, cleared a patch of mulch, dug in some compost and fertilizer, planted the seeds, gave them a nice drink of water...... and put the mulch back on top.
This seemed like a sensible thing to do, since the whole garden is covered with mulch, and the established plants have no trouble poking their way up, but now I am wondering if this will work with seedlings?
Should I clear the mulch off my planted areas, until the plants are established? Or will they indeed make their own path up to the sun?
Thanks: John
In article

Yes. Part of the reason to have mulch is to suppress weeds unwanted plants).
--

- Billy

The builder spread that mulch so it wouldn't become a weedy lot in the interim before you moved in. I would rake all those pine bark nuggets off to the side into a pile and save them to use as mulch after you put in your plantings. Not knowing your location it's difficult to advise further but if you intend to have a lawn that mulch will only be a hinderence.
Great. I had a feeling, and I'm glad I asked!
-- John