Planting Question

I have some 4 O'Clock tubers to plant. I have never planted these before. I know I can just plant them in the ground but do I put them in straight up and down in a hole or do I lay them lenght wise? If straigh up and down which end faces the top? Sorry if this is a stupid question, I am really, really new to gardening. Thanks
I have some 4 O'clock tubers that I want plant. I do know I can plant them directly in the ground but I don't know which way to plant them. Do the tubers go straight up and down in the hole with the wider end at top OR are they placed in the ground length wise? Sorry if this is a stupid question, I am new to gardening and trying to learn as I go. Thanks
I have some 4 O'clock tubers that I want plant. I do know I can plant them directly in the ground but I don't know which way to plant them. Do the tubers go straight up and down in the hole with the wider end at top OR are they placed in the ground length wise? Sorry if this is a stupid question, I am new to gardening and trying to learn as I go. Thanks

I'm not sure, but if you have A.M. tubers, plant like this: | P.M. tubers, plant like this: -
You probably have P.M. tubers, so I would go with: -
Good luck
How can you tell the difference between a.m. tubers and p.m. tubers? Just curious.

Now that I think about it, the - should be am and the | pm. If they were 9 o'clock tubers, it'd be the other way. But, hehe, I was kidding. 4 o'clock am, 4 o'clock pm ... get it? To be honest, I don't even know what a 4 o'clock is, I guess it's some sort of flower.
As far as tubers (or seeds) go, I don't think it makes a lot of difference which way you orient them (unless they've already started sprouting something, in which case obviously you put a stem up and a root down).
At one point I was contemplating starting some peas all oriented in one particular direction (the radicle seems to come out of the "eye"), and then I decided that I don't have time for such silliness and just plopped them into the starting mix haphazardly. Almost all of them managed to germinate which is usual for peas.
If that's wrong, hopefully someone who's a better gardener than me will chime in and tell us the right answer (or point us to a 10 year old google message haha). If nobody does, tag you're it, you get to be the expert and tell us how it goes.
HE HE thanks for the chuckle! I had a feeling your post was tongue in cheek but like I said I am new to gardening so had to make sure. :O Yes, 4 0'clocks are flowers the blooms open around 4 in the afternoon and are very fragernt so I am told. Their tubers are carrot like.

9
then
germinate
and
Actually, the tuberous roots (not tubers) of "4 0'clocks" (Mirabilis jalapa) are rather similar to those of Dahlias and should be planted the same way.
Most people grow "4 0'clocks" from seed like an annual and avoid the whole problem altogether.
Carrots are tap roots not tubers.

were
what
difference
them
google
I meant 'carrot like' referring to its shape. They look like carrots. I know carrots are a root.

tubers?
one
will
expert

I found it's easy to tell which way is up with my roots - they had a number of finger thick roots that all pointed in more or less the same direction. Down. There should be a thicker stalk that points in the other direction, and that is where new shoots should emerge. I say should, because I didn't have any luck with them the one year I tried to grow them from the roots. They got mouldy, and I wound up growing them from seed anyway. They grow really quickly from seed, so I don't bother with the roots anymore.
BP