Planting pumpkins

I want to plant some pumpkins but I don't know where to plant them. I want to make sure they're planted out of the way. Can they be planted just about anywhere, despite the soil, dirt, etc.? Could I just go out and dig a hole in the ground and put the seeds in or do they require more care/work/etc. than that?

Reply to
Mike S.

Pumpkins need full sun and do best in a rich soil with watering when it's dry. Dig in compost and a good general vegetable fertilizer. Give them plenty of room to grow and spread out. For the biggest pumpkins remove all but a few per vine.

Check out this site:

Mindful

Good advice, they are quite heavy feeders and will not prosper if the conditions are very dry. A pumpkin is a big plant with big fruit, you don't get that out of poor soil.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott