Planting My Asparagus Crowns

I got a lot of great advice from this group and do appreciate all the different combinations of gardening ideas from each and every post.

I think perhaps it would be a good idea to double dig my asparagus bed only! I have read that asparagus roots go straight down to a depth of twenty feet or more.

As for the rest of my garden, I think it may be to my advantage not to double dig but instead like was recommended in a post, raise the bed as much as possible. My bed will be in ground but I think that I will still be able to raise it well above ground level. I'm going to have lots of sod with top soil still attached. I think that once I allow this sod to dry out and the grass roots to die off that I'll be able to shred this sod with my mulching mower and then empty the contents back on to the bed. By doing this, it should raise the bed quite a bit above ground level. I'll then ad my amendments and till. The tilling will then harm no worms in the process because the actual soil tilled will be mostly the sod I added back to the bed. This should in turn give me the added benefits of double digging. I figure that I'll have a good fourteen to sixteen inches of good loose soil which should drain well. I plan to slope the sides of the bed up on each side and rake it level on top.

My goal it to try and give my veggies the best possible growing medium without harming the beneficial creatures such as garden worms! A garden fork will be used to dig the main soil and the tiller will only be used on the added soil above ground level.

Rich

Reply to
EVP MAN

Improve the soil with much manure and compost as you go, asparagus loves it.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Tomato roots can go down 10 ft or more. Corn also has an extensive root system.

Reply to
David E. Ross