Planting Japanese Maple

I bought a Japanese Maple (Acer palmatum "Viridis") at Home Depot today. It is a green leaf cultivar that turns gold in fall. It is planted in a large plastic container. The root ball is still wrapped in burlap with rich bedding soil completely covering the rootball. Do I need to remove the burlap, or will it just decay in place? I hate to disturb those roots. This specimen is already about 3 feet tall by four feet wide and very heavy in the pot.
Joe Morris