Planting daffodills

A couple weeks back I asked about planting groundcover in bad soil. So I've fixed it up and made some calls and spoke to my mother about plants. She suggested planting daffodils and creeping thyme, maybe some Echinacea or catMINT (not catnip).
I can do that, but when do you plant bulb plants? Fall, now, or in the spring? I've never planted daffodils before so I'm not sure what to do there.

Plant bulbs in the fall. Throw a handful of bonemeal in every hole, if you want to. Later on (not the first year), throw some fertilizer at the bulbs every spring. 10-10-10 or whatever you usually use in your garden. (We use 8-32-16 here.)
When the bulbs show up in the feed store, it's time to plant them.
Jan in Alaska

Fall it is then, thanks.