Planting a Bald Cypress in pond

I bought a Bald Cypress about 7 foot tall that I would like to plant totally in my pond. We are looking for that swamp effect and have the knees of the tree come out of the water eventually.

I have been told you can and I have been told you can not. The areas I want to plant it is about 12 to 18 inches deep.

I do have a willow planted close to the bank, but was looking for a tree to actually plant in the water, thats why I choose the cypress as the swamps and lakes in and around Florida have this species growing there. I live in south central alabama, and the hardiness of the tree I have is sufficient for this area.

How would one go about fertilizing this tree if its in water. Could you use those plant or tree fertilizer spikes?

Any info greatly appreciated. Visit my website:

expressed are those of my wifes, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Reply to
Roy

Plant it in the pond, preferably with the top 1" of the rootball out of water (to allow for settling). I have done this with about 50 baldcypress transplants over the years, some of them 50-60' tall and with rootballs 14' across. They are pretty tough. Just make sure they adequate soil beneath them and around them...not floating in "pudding" muck. And forget about fertilizing it...no need to IME. Good luck with you tree!

Reply to
Mike LaMana