Plant Trumpet Vine in container?

Hi, can anyone give me suggestions on this?

I have built a privacy lattice fence (plastic type 8 ft high 24 ft wide with 4x4's and 2x4's for support) I have ordered 3 Indian Summer Trumpet Vines to grow up the trellis and probably up the 50-60' oak tree behind it.

I have since read that they can be very invasive and hard to control and am getting a little worried if I ordered to many or if I should even plant them in my zone7 GA area. Dappled shade to part sun?

I read mixed reviews from several people. Some love them others hate them. I wanted to plant for the privacy and hummingbirds. One lady said she planted them in 5 gal plastic pots with the bottom cut out along with pruning and pulling out new sprouts she had good results.

Anyone here have any experience with them and can give advice? TIA.

Reply to
<elaine_h

Don't know about Trumpet Vine, but we had a Lipstick Vine/Plant/Bush (or something like that) in Central TX.

It was pretty, prolific, tough, and attracted hummingbirds galore.

It also was a pain to clear out if left unattended, since it attached itself with little root/tentacle patches which bored into any wood (fences, lattice, or window panes/sills), and were even a pain to get off of the brick.

That one needed a weekly look/trim.

Reply to
CANNON-FODDER

Not sure who posted the original question, but here is my 2 cents...

I am in South Jersey and know some people who have them. They WILL SPREAD!

I planted a few little twigs last summer and this spring, I see the plant popping up several feet from where I originally planted it. As I understand it, it goes deep, travels underground and pops up all over. MIGHT be contained if planted in a deep bucket with the bottom cut out to limit sideways travel, but this is one tough plant so I wouldn't bet on it.

I'm risking it because I think they are pretty and where I put it is surrounded by sidewalk and street. If it makes it to the lawn (it will) it will just get mowed.

Good luck!

Reply to
Ted Swirsky

Thanks for responding! I am hoping the 5 gal.containers will slow them down a bit and I can cut the little off-shoots that make it to the lawn area outside the beds and hand pull the ones in the bed.

I've also heard it spreads not only by roots but seed pods and I hope by keeping it trimmed those will be reduced. I just hope I am not making a big mistake planting these. The flowers look lovely in the pictures and I love the hummers.

Do you know if it will attach itself to the plastic lattice or do I need to twine it up? Supports are pressure treated 4x4's so eventually it can grab onto them I guess.

Are you getting blooms?? Several people said on the gardening forum I was reading said they were disappointed because theirs never bloomed at all.

Elaine Zone 7

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ted Swirsky" Newsgroups: rec.gardens Sent: Monday, May 08, 2006 10:08 PM Subject: Re: Plant Trumpet Vine in container?

Reply to
<elaine_h

I'm not really familiar with the plant you have, however I have some experience with passion flower, the kind that grows wild up the East Coast, AKA maypop. (larvae food for Fritillary butterflies.) Well named, because the main root runs about a foot under the ground and it "may pop" up anywhere. I planted mine in half barrel containers, that have bottoms and sides. I must confess the seed sprout outside the pot where you don't want them, but I have butterflies in large numbers every year and the container plants are well fed and come back every year.

Go for it! You'll enjoy the hummers.

Regards,

Hal

Reply to