Plant to ID

I have a plant that needs ID'd. Since Cereus-Validus makes fun of anyone else who doesn't appear to be a walking encyclopedia like he thinks he is, hopefully he'll be the expert who can ID it.

This is the "adult" plant in bloom. It has been heavily fertilized.

is a "baby"

is another young plant

SedumQueen

presley

Yes, it looks like a badly grown Dracaena fragrans.

Actually it looks nothing like Zea mays, if you compare the leaf arrangement of the two close up.

Reply to
Cereus-validus.....

Presley, I didn't see the link you were referring to. Please post again.

I have researched the dracaenas before, but don't think this is what I have. The adult plant pictured was growing at my grandmother's house in Illinois and was very heavily fertilized with fish emulsion. The babies are at my place in the southern US and are probably close to 10 years old. The mother plant produces offsets along it's "trunk" and the bloom looks different than any of the dracaenas pictured on the internet. The trunk is very papery from where the previous leaves have died off and the leaves are at least twice as long as the dracaena fragrans.

Since the mother plant and babies are grown in different places, but still look just alike, I don't think it's a matter of the plant looking like this because it's badly grown. Does anyone else have a guess?

Reply to
SedumQueen

Post a picture of it in bloom.

Guessing is a waste of time.

Reply to
Cereus-validus.....

Your first picture is supposedly the plant in bloom but need to see the floral stem and flowers close-up to make out the details.

Trying to see it with binoculars don't work over the internet.

Reply to
Cereus-validus.....

I tried scanning just the bloom from my picture at 1600 dpi to see if that will help. The picture was taken 10 years ago and I haven't been back there since to get a better picture. I have a digital camera now, so I could get a great pic if I was there.

Anyway, here is a close-up of the bloom:

SedumQueen

Cannot make out any detail. Looks like the flowers are all faded.

If the floral stem is a lateral scape with an umbel of flowers, it may be an Amaryllid, possibly a Crinum. Would need to see it in full bloom to figure out which one.

Reply to
Cereus-validus.....

"Thanks for your inquiry! The photos finally came through and we do not think that what you have is a crinum. A crinum is a bulb and the foliage would come right out of the ground, there wouldn't be a trunk or any woody part of the plant. Unfortunately, the bloom looks a little past it's prime, so it's hard to say what you've got, but we don't think it's a crinum."

Does anyone else have any idea?

Reply to
SedumQueen

Crinum is a very large genus and NOT all the species, especially the ones that normally grow in swampy ground, have a bulb.

Show us pix of the plant in full bloom and it can be identified with certainty. Will especially need to see pix of the flowers themselves too.

Reply to
Cereus-validus.....

What little can be told from your pix is that it is probably closest to the widely grown, weedy Crinum asiaticum. The species is polymorphic in the wild and there many wild and garden hybrids of it also.

Old House Gardens does not specilize in tropical bulbs.

Reply to
Cereus-validus.....