Plant thief!

Page 2 of 3
The former curator of a large park here in Vancouver tells me that when they put out new Rhododendrons they had gardeners strip all of the blooms for the first few years, until they got big enough to be a bit hard to steal, otherwise they would have gone home in someone's trunk.
I figure plant theft, at least from your garden, should be punishable by burying the miscreant up to his chin in a dung heap on a hot day!
from snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnojunk (Bill Spohn) contains these words:

It's very common in the UK, both from private gardens and ones open to the public. One near here, which is famous for its rare rhododendrons, doesn't label newly planted ones. They are identified to the garden staff by a tag with a number, and don't get a name label until the plant is too big and well established for easy lifting.
Janet

I have seen people look at a name tag and then pocket it so they will be able to remember the name when out shopping.
Argh!

able
what, don't these people have camera phones?
sheesh.
-kelly

A couple of years ago, I saw this television program about the future. It showed people talking to a machine and you'd ask it for something and it would make something right out of thin air! For instance, an distinguished looking bald guy would say "Computer, Earl Grey, hot" and the machine would spit out a cup of tea, cup and all.
Another interesting thing was a lot of the spaceships in the future looked kind of like caterpillar cocoons.

be
distinguished
It sounds like the Jetsons.

Actually, that sounds like Captain Pickard on Star Trek: The Next Generation. Great show.
On 4/30/04 8:38 AM, in article c6thcn$4ja$ snipped-for-privacy@hood.uits.indiana.edu, "Meagan M

Sarcasm and or irony! even my neighbor's 3 year old knows who Captain Picard is! C

Who is Captain Pickard/Picard? The show I am talking about is something I saw in South America over a couple of days. I was supposed join my professor, Donald Chu-Bellefitte on an archaeological dig, but had stayed behind to attend my brother's wedding. Anyway, one of old Don's important equipment orders came after he had left, so he asked me to bring it, and I got to go anyway.
On my way to the rendezvous point, one of the roads got washed out, and I had to wait several days while the water subsided. Luckily (?), one of the families in the area invited me to stay with them while I waited. The father, an old codger, had a small TV hooked up to a bicycle/generator and he managed to wheedle me into riding it so his kids could watch TV. I guess it was the least I could do. So I would catch up on reading some journals while riding the bike and the kids would watch this TV show. For some reason, I always thought it was funny when I heard the distinguished looking bald guy say "Computador, un t de el Earl Grey, caliente!". Like he had a tea addiction or something.
One of things I didn't like about the future was how there were still so many diseases. For instance, there was a black guy that must have had some huge fungal infection on his forehead and another albino dude who surely would have immediately died of melanoma if he were ever to step foot on a beach.
On 4/30/04 12:02 PM, in article eMukc.61337$G snipped-for-privacy@nwrddc02.gnilink.net,

Sputter and spew!
<< I figure plant theft, at least from your garden, should be punishable by burying the miscreant up to his chin in a dung heap on a hot day!
Wouldn't your humus heap do as well?
zemedelec

You are incorrect.

In the grand scheme of things. it is stealing. However you or others want to rationalize it, it's stealing.

Actually, taking a plant - or seeds - or flowers, or any part of a plant, from state land, is illegal. Not technically stealing, I believe there is a separate law against it.
There is also laws against planting there, however, they aren't usually enforced, except in natural areas and parks.
Both are there mainly to protect native plants, especially rare ones.
-
theoneflasehaddock

but you might need some kind of permit to plant (or other 'unusual' use) on public property. :/

It happens. A neighbour had his house renovated and when it was over did the front yard too, this was behind the fence line. He put in a row of nice looking shrubs. A couple of days later he had a row of nice looking holes. He then erected a row of signs instead that said what was stolen from each hole and left them there for several weeks, apparently trying to shame whoever took the plants, this had no effect but looked quite comical.
David

of years ago, and we also had a gas grill hefted. Happily, in recent years shrubbery thefts have declined here.
One of our local TV stations just did a piece on thieves harvesting new trees & shrubs planted at vatrious parks and intersections. They snagged a couple of people who jumped out of trucks, yanked the plants out, tossed them in the bed then sped off. Caught them on camera! This is not real common - yet - but becomming moreso where I live.
Genevieve wrote:

They did this where I am originally from - stole newly planted trees straight out of a state park. They never did catch the people, I assume it is probably still going on.
-
theoneflasehaddock
<jsdebooATcomcast.net> wrote:> One of our local TV stations just did a piece on thieves harvesting new

I saw an article a couple years back about a group of thieves who cut & rolled up perfect lawns to sell to a landscaper. Imagine some obsessive compulsive dunderhead working his guts out for that perfect lawn coming home & finding it all missing. Lawns are evil single-species destroyers of the natural world, but still, gotta feel sorry for the obsessive compulsives.
-paghat the ratgirl