plant reccomendation to block neighbors balcony

The house next door to mine has a second floor balcony overlooking my backyard. Obviously, this ain't none too good for privacy. I'm looking for a plant that can block their line of view. . .so something that is dense, tall, and fast growing so it will cover their line of view quickly. . .yet, it has to be planted in a fairly narrow area behind other plants (maybe only 1-2 feet to work with).
The style of my yard is tropical/tiki. You know the drill. . .many palms, birds of paradise, phillodendren, banana, tiki bar, palapa. . .things of this nature. . .
I can't seem to figure out a plant that will really block out their balcony view that is of a tropical motif. . .
As far as location, I'm in Temecula. . .so it's drier and has more extremes of hot/cold than some other s. california locations. . .
Okay, then. . .any help would be greatly appreciated!
Iggy555 wrote:

A clumping bamboo might do the job.
--
Travis in Shoreline Washington

Or a runner in a couple of big pots or long planters.
tropical print tent.