Plant pots upside down on sticks??

Hi :)
At Chatsworth House, we noticed there were small plant pots upside down on sticks in some of the gardens. Is this a methos of scaring birds or other animals away? In some gardens there were hanging CDs which I know helps keep birds away.
Many thanks
Andy
snipped-for-privacy@another.com (Andy H) wrote:

Never saw such a thing myself. But I caught a Gardening with Cisco spot about planting tomatoes upside down. There didn't seem to be any reason for it, only that it could be done, so wow let's do it, though the vines don't need to be braced in any way. I thought it looked stupid, but then, Cisco was using a commercially made upside-down-tomato-basket which was a plastic piece of shyt. It might could be done in a less ugly way.
Here's are some random pages about the method; it seems to be a fad: http://www.minifarmhomestead.com/gardening/tomato.htm http://thehappyhorticulturist.homestead.com/GrowUpsideDownTomatoes.html http://wwwsuite101.com/article.cfm/cottage_gardening/70102
And here's the exact same ugly-ass product Cisco was using (I wonder if he gets paid to promote ugly-ass products, or really has that bad a taste): http://www.cleanairgardening.com/totuupdotofl.html
This even pricier product is not as ugly: http://www.hammacher.com/publish/67403.asp?sourceid 40330846&AFIDFREE01 But the first link above shows how to make your own cheap.
-paghat the ratgirl

Were they stuffed with straw? The theory is that earwigs are attracted to them (warm shelter or something) and you can easily dispose of the straw in the morning.
Neil
Sure, why not?
You can put CDs in that retractable cup holder on you computer too!!! ;-)

from snipped-for-privacy@another.com (Andy H) contains these words:

Where gardeners are working, it stops them poking an eye on the canes. Or, the pots might have straw inside as an earwig trap.
Janet
"............ Where gardeners are working, it stops them poking an eye on the canes. Or, the pots might have straw inside as an earwig trap............."
OR
It could be that they covered that area with netting or fleece and the pot would stop the canes poking through. You can also use cut off plastic bottles.
--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Have you noticed there aren't nearly as many earwigs around as there used to be?