plant named 'Diane'

I would like to give a plant -- shrub or significant perennial in memory of a person named Diane who will be honored at the celebration. Suggestions? TIA, Judy
((.)) ')) (((((((( ))(/)((

How 'bout a witch hazel, Hamemalis x intermedia 'Diane'? Winter flowering with deep red, spider-like flowers.
pam - gardengal
there gotta be a rose named Diane after Princess Di.

Gotta be a daylily by that name too! Cheryl
On 4/26/04 10:05 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@news-server.wi.rr.com,

There is a Dianthus and a Rose of Sharon named Diane
There's a Chirita hybrid called "Diane Marie"; a large seeded watermelon called "Sweet Diane"; a chrysanthemum called "Diane Stoakes"; a hosta named "Diana Gray Dalton" & another called "Dianne"; dahlias called "Monkstown Diane" & "Ruskin Diane"; daylilies called "Daphne Diane" & "Diane Joiner"; a rhododendron called "Diane" with cream-colored flowers; a Coleus hybrid called "Diane's Gold"; Irises called "Miss Diane," "Megan Diane" & "Benton Diane" (or "Diane" in the Benton series of heirloom irises); a Clivia hybrid called "Diane"; a lilac bush called "Diane"; an heirloom rose called "Diane de Poitiers"; a Rose of Sharon hybiscus very hardy called "Diane".... Pam's suggestion is perhaps best if you're in a temperate zone because the witchhazel "Diane" is easy to obtain & easy to grow & is beautiful for one reason or another in every season of the year. The Rose of Sharon "Diane" should also be easy to fine & is easy to grow. The rhododendron "Diane" according to Greer is in production so shouldn't be hard to find.
-paghat the ratgirl

This suggestion of Hamamelis x intermedia 'Diane' is a great one if space (vase shaped, 12' high by 12' wide at maturity) and USDA zone (6-9) permit. Check out this website's USDA map to find out your zone.
http://www.usna.usda.gov/Hardzone/ushzmap.html ?
As Paghat has indicated, it has some interest in all seasons too. The flowers have a terrific fragrance, and in the Fall they put on a good show with their bright green leaves changing from yellow, orange, to red. They are not terribly fussy shrubs: drought resistant, sun or light shade, preferring moist/well drained soil (neutral/acidic), and little attention required with regard to pruning.

space (vase

red. They

The flowers have no particular fragrance. It's Hamamelis virginiana that smells so nice.
-paghat the ratgirl

In my family, we plant Blue Spruce for significant occasions, except for when it came time to plant for my mother. We chose two of her favourite apples and planted apple trees.
Did (does) Diane have a particular favourite?
Lisa