Plant ID

I have a perennial with large leathery leaves that feel like lambs ear. The plant doubled in size to about 5 feet and has produced a spire. The plant is about 3 foot diameter at the base. A line of small yellow flowers spiral up, following a counter-clockwise pattern. The flowers do not have a strong smell, although the odor is unique. The neighbors are asking about the plant ID. I don't know what it is either, but I like it and no deer or insect will eat it. The only care I gave it was keeping it weeded. Zone 7.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3308/3613685464_76fa665587_m.jpg
Phisherman said:

That's Common Mullein (Verbascum thapsus) a large and (in some areas) common non-native weed. It is a biennial, rather than perennial plant. *Extremely* prolific seed producer, but sprouts only in disturbed, bare soil.
Also known as flannel leaf, Aaron's rod, torch plant, etc.
http://www.kingdomplantae.net/commonMullein.php
There are showier, smaller Verbascum cultivars (often V. phoeniceum and V. chaixii; some are interspecies hybrids). These tend to be short lived perennials, somewhat tending toward biennials. Here's a particularly nice one (Verbascum 'Southern Charm'):
http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/plantfinder/plant.asp?code=J120
I've got some small Verbascum (white flowers with a purple eye) blooming now in one of my flower beds, and a giant V. thapsus growing at one end of my herb garden (for now).
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"So, it was all a dream."
On 6/10/09 5:48 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com,

Mullien

As others have said, it's a verbascum and there are many others in the family with other colours that are also delightful.
I too like these plants but have trouble stopping my husband ripping them out.

mullien lee
Thanks to all esp. the link. It is Common Mullein. Too fascinating and useful to be called a weed.

Yes, it's had many uses. Quaker's Rouge was another name, as the girls would rub their cheeks with mullein leaves. Also used as toilet paper. Medicinally, the leaves are used for lung ailments, diarrhea and other things I'm sure. Some people smoke it for lung ailments. The flowers, infused in oil, are good for ear aches and ear infections.
I love Mullein - one of my favorite herbs.
Kate

Smoked I recall so dried.

I can't remember my last ear ache so I guess I am blessed.

I like plants that are soft to touch. Mexican sunflowers in my mind these days. Sensual.

Bill who will see if a mullein is about perhaps hidden near a comfey.
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

No foreign intervention unless tyranny at home.

The leaves were also used to line shoes and the spires dipped in wax and used as candles.

I'd forgotten the candle aspect and am not sure I knew about lining shoes, unless I confusing lining shoes with with plaintain (plantago). What benefit does lining shoes with the wonderful Verbascus thaspus have? (I love some of these Latin names - my absolute favorite name is Prunella vulgaris - makes me think it's Cruella Daville's sister.)
Kate

None whatsoever these days, but in the days when people wore shoes till the soles were either as thin as paper or worn right through so there was a hole in the leather, it stopped ya footsies from suffering from stone bruises.
(I love some of these Latin names - my absolute favorite name is

:-)) I too love some of the Latin names - not that any one specifically comes to mind at the moment.

If the leaves extend down along the stalk 2" or 3", mullein it is.
--

- Billy