Plant ID?

Hey, all! I'm vacationing in Charleston, SC, and on a stroll down the battery, it was trash day, and this plant was discarded with the trash of one of those gorgeous houses on Rainbow Row. I don't know if it's a tropical, perennial, or house plant. Anyone have any idea?
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/houseplt/gal0711533930148.jpeg
Donna
It looks to me like an orchid that has finished flowering.

Andrew Ostrander wrote:

Don't think it's an orchid. The leaves are very succulent like.
Donna

Donna deMedicis wrote:

I think Orchid also. What is it planted in? Can you take some more pictures?

USDA Zone 8
Many tropical orchids have rather succulent leaves, especially the epiphytic ones..

Travis wrote:

Um, it was "planted" on top of a trash can.
Here's a sideways view -- I had no idea orchid leaves were succulent!
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/houseplt/gal071620157186.html
Donna

It is a Phalaenopsis orchid.. See http://www.plantscapingsupply.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PSC&Product_Code=PHAL02&Category_Code=OA
This is the type orchid it is but probably not the color. It is commonally called a moth orchid rec.gardens.orchids can give you even more information
alice

Doesn't look like a Phal to me- it has psuedobulbs.
An orchid definitely but we may not be able to get a positive ID until it flowers.
--
Toni
South Florida USA
Donna deMedicis wrote:

I was asking about in what medium it was planted. Bark or potting soil? Orchids are often planted in bark.

USDA Zone 8
Travis wrote:

Travis -- by the time I found it, it had been ripped from its pot and the roots were devoid of any kinda planting medium.
Donna
Sure does look like an orchid to me.
Suzy O in Wisconsin, Zone 5