plant friendly deck cleaner that works on algae

HI all,

We are still preparing to clean our deck to seal it for the first time. My DH went to Lowes/HD to find plant friendly deck cleaners. He found a number of options, but none of the plant friendly products stated that they would remove algae. He believes we have algae on our deck. The deck is made from pressure treated pine, and it is surrounded by trailing gardenias, hostas, and nandinas, with a cameila nearby. Can anyone recommend a cleaner that will not harm the plants, that will tackle the algae?

If I spot scrub the algae w/ vinegar, but some vinegar seeps into the soil, will that harm nearby plants?

Thanks! Heidi

Reply to
Heidi

Heidi

Probably not if you dilute it with plenty of cold water.. Unless they are lime loving plants..

That said you could just buy some Citrox which is plant friendly and designed for cleaning glasshouses etc plenty of algae in there...-) Its made by Agralan

Although.. if you think about.. Erm.. algae is an algae.. which are a basic form of plant;-) So anything that is an algicide may not do much good for plants. Although you could investigate the Algicides from a good Horticultural supplier.

Try washing up detergent HOT water (from a bucket) and a stiff yard broom, and some muscle power.. That should do it and the water will have cooled by the time it hits the plants I would figure..

// Jim

Reply to
Jim W

I don't have the answer to your question Heidi. My post was a futile attempt at humor. It was meant in jest, thus the smiley, but there may be some merits to it.

Algae can be a real pain, that I know.

Reply to
sparkie

Two options:

1) Microbe-Life SBSC (Soy Based Statuary Cleaner). It doesn't specify use for wood, but I have used it on my deck with decent results. It comes in a spray bottle, spray it on, wait a few minutes, scrub off. 2) Pond Care Algae Fix. Ignore the label. For decks, mix 1/2 cup (4 ozs) with a gallon of water in a sprayer, then spray that on the surfaces of your deck that has the algae. Wait a day, then go out and scrub it off, or use a pressure washer.

Search google for shops that sell these products.

Reply to
Pelvis Popcan