Plant database

I was wondering if there is a plant database somewhere to download. I have a great little proggie for plants but no information, only whatever I would type in. This program permits me to import other databases.

Thanks

Reply to
hedding

Here's a good one:

TOM KAN PA

Thank you for the site, I never knew of daves garden, unfortunately, I meant a database to download into my own data base program. I use PrimaSoft PC garden deluxe but there are only 3 plants in its database.

Reply to
hedding

Have you thought of using a database designed for photos such as the Microsoft "Digital Image Pro 9" and the one made by Abode.

I use the Microsoft one which is very useful if you have many photos, because you can assign keywords such as "monocots" "female" "fern" etc etc. to each photo and then recall any group you like.

You can add text too if required.

I have catalogued about 2000 family photos with this system, and because of the keyword facility I can recall any photo with a particular keyworded person or date or place etc.

It should work fine for pictures of plants with descriptions.

Reply to
Peter Jason

interesting idea. lots of interesting ideas here. I use my genealogy program, AncestoralQuest as it has tremendous space in its notes files for each subject, indexes by alpha or rec number, the notes files can be searched for any word,from a global search, and has scrapbook that can handle pics or multmedia. This way i can put in the notes file for each subject any coding i want and retrieve all files with that coding, like perenniel or height: 36" or evergreen or shady or what ever. Admittedly there are a lot of fields that i don't use but i'm not hurting for space yet for that to make any differences. also i have other types of information in it like herbal formulas, health issues, remedies, and can link some families together if i choose. Actually this was about all that was available back when i first started my collections. First one i had was a really neat one i programmed with DBase III but had a radio shack computer and when it went.....all...everything i had... went with it includiing DBASE III. I got too old to go through that again so this works for me. I have 4 computers and have two of them linked and my important (to me) data mirrored on the guest computer. fixing to network the other computer and use them for backup as i am really paranoid about backing up!. the old 3.11 has old info and still works well (a friend and I built it long time ago.. when 3.11 was the thing... but not enough space for all my genealogy and plant info. Need to rebuild and update it leo

Reply to
Lee