Plant a Garden, Get a Tax Break?

Page 3 of 3

Granted. Probably wouldn't make me a loony like you, but that's just speculation.
-paggers
--
visit my temperate gardening website:
http://www.paghat.com
On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 11:53:34 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@paghat.com (paghat) wrote:

Define "loony," and give examples when I was your definition of loony. Also give instances where you claim I'm a nut. Then again, go back to ignoring me. I easily saw your anger in posts to many others. And that, my dear, is your projection. It goes both ways, unless you have a egocentric mind.

Already did, but if you forgot already, all these seem pretty nutty for starters:
...unlike you inever threatened to come to your house and attack you physically from behind (I loved your accidental confession of going for peoples' backs); never pretended to be an African American woman or a Crow Nation American Indian to score unmerited bonus points as you have done; never signed onto hypochondriac newsgroups as you have done confessing to the the most amazing mental illnesses and addictions and disfigurement...
To which I'd add pretending years & years of the craziest posts were forged, once even claiming "I'm a completely different Victoria, completely new here," what were you smokin' when you thought that'd work. And of course a mispent youth that destroyed your middleaged health, which from a teetotlar's point of view does look crazy.
I did watch two dear friends go down for much the same behaviors -- one killed his pancreas which nothing could be done about, the other his liver which MIGHT have been fixed but wasn't. Unlike you (and I do admire you that at least, seeing how impossible it was for supposedly tough guys with considerable intelligence) they never quite gave up any of those behaviors. Sad thing to see. Tom broke out of the hospital in his hospital gown long enough to panhandle the money for his next fix, then went back to the hospital stoned and drunk & crazily believing the doctors would believe his claim to have been clean for over a year. Of course they just let him die. Poor dumb fuck, hard to forgive him even now. He'd inherited millions and could've done so much. Instead he killed his liver and thereby himself.
-paghat the ratgirl
--
visit my temperate gardening website:
http://www.paghat.com
On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 15:34:41 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@paghat.com (paghat) wrote:

I never said any such things. I have no idea what you are talking about. Why would I fake being African American? Do you know that I'm not African American? Fibromyalgia is not hypochondria. I've been diagnosed since I was 13. Not last year. I professed to having depression for which I've been treated for and continue to be treated for. If that's the "amazing mental illnesses and addictions" you refer to, you better wake up. I used to have destructive behaviors, but that ended 26 years ago. I developed cirrhosis last year. If you think that is being hypochondriac, so be it. You're an ass.

I don't recall, to be perfectly honest. I may have done that, but since I don't remember I can't say one way or the other. There was at one time two different Victoria's here, but again I don't remember every detail that you stalkingly seem to recall. I also don't give a driplet of shit whether or not your point of view says I look crazy. You seem to have a lot to say about people you don't know. I could call you many things, but it's not worth it. It's YOU who everyone is on to. Not the other way around.

Well, I'm very fortunate because I did live long enough for my inherritance and I live very well. I still wipe my own ass and my shit still stinks. I will live till I die just like you dear. We all die, so what's the difference? I'm sorry if your shit comes out perfect with no stank, but once again, I don't give a driplet of shit what you think of me, or what you have to say about me. You have been stalking me for a long time based on what you wrote here. You haven't a clue. You don't know if I'm black, OR Indian, OR nuts. You never will. Go back to ignoring me. Please. You are a bore.

Better yet, V, ignore *her*. She's never going to stop until you do, you know it. Those of us who have been here long enough remember who is worth it or not :o)
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Yeah, I know. Definitely NOT worth it.

I am a bit relieved to find that I am not alone in my similar observations. Doesn't take much poking at her to awaken the beastie.
Eff her. Back to the garden.
How's the knee? Can you get out and about any better now? The weeds are growing. ;-)
Charlie, looking forward to the projected warmup....finally!
On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 11:45:47 -0500, Charlie wrote:

Oh glory be I gardened for three hours yesterday and that was mostly yanking stuff out, making a clear space to plant my new daylillies. I have:
'Strawberry Candy' 'Halls Pink' 'Little Women' 'Hush Little Baby' 'Desperado'
I also planted some Esperanza, yucca, bulbine, and lantana. Hopefully I will not have to water that spot more than a few times this summer. Yesterday was the first day since as long as I can remember where my knee didn't radiate heat and extreme pain, throbbing endlessly. I think I'm over the hump. My PTist will be very happy tomorrow. Swimming laps in the pool also helps.
It's cool here at 65. I'm too cold to go out in this weather!!!! LOL

Nice. Several years ago we discovered the joy of eating the flowers. Nice addition to salads too.

Bueno! Is the pool heated? ;-)

Cool? That's a dman heat wave here in northern MO. COldest spring I remember in many years.
CHarlie
On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 13:13:19 -0500, Charlie wrote:

Of course it is! There would be no way I could enter a pool colder than 85 degrees. I would seize up.

It's been pretty cool here as well. It's always strange in the spring here. We are on the line where we share four of the ten regions of Texas. That means we also host eight corridors of species, not including species which live outside the corridor and/or both in and out. Very diverse.
It was 90 degrees a month ago. I will take the cooler springs, but the summer still comes, so we may as well have warm springs. Nothing changes the summer heat. Having lived down here from New York for 15 years, I've grown used to the heat. I am truly cold in this temperature today. My feet feel like they are frozen.
My mother in law up in Manitowoc, Wisconsin had 12 inches of snow last week! I would love to move to Wyoming or Montana, but the long, freezing winters no longer appeal to me.
In article

giving up

Exclusively the few that are contemptible.
-paggers

--
visit my temperate gardening website:
http://www.paghat.com
On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 13:07:48 -0700, Persephone wrote:

If you want to lookup some actual numbers from past years in your local area look here:
http://farm.ewg.org/farm /
Click on your state and maybe county, then click on say Top Recipients in 2005. You should see some familiar names from local farmers and what there "take" was in 2005.
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

IIRC they no longer get money for *not* growing their crops.

I'm not sure what your definitions are of "elderly" and "wealthy" but my gentleman friend is 62, farms 100 acres of cotton and 45 acres of wheat and gets the subsidies. He may not fit your idea of elderly but he sure as hell isn't wealthy. However, he's very opposed to the government farm program. Last year his cotton crop was so bad that he made more money selling his water rights since he has a well so doesn't need his share of the canal water. Sue - Central California

The "family farmers", per the article, seem to be eligible for this money, too. The ones who are having trouble are the ones who lease rather than own the land and are not having their leases renewed. I was responding to this statement: "Nothing goes to the elderly farmer who still works dawn to dusk trying to pay for his own farm, but to the very wealthy." I saw nothing in the article to back up this statement. Now, I have been told that Queen Elizabeth used to get US farm subsidies because she did (or perhaps still does) own quite a bit of property here. I have absolutely no proof of this.

I've read the article now and see what you're talking about. My statement about the way things used to be was based on my gentleman friend no longer having to have a "set aside" to get the subsidies for his cotton. There was some very careful calculation about how many acres were under cultivation thereby how many acres he couldn't plant.

Well, I'm more worried about the meager livelihood of my gentleman friend (his pick up truck is about 15 years old and his tractor is older than that which I point out to demonstrate that he is *not* wealthy) than I am of farmers in the Third World. And, as I said, he is very much against the subsidies.

I've read it now, but where is government spending *not* absurd. I work in a welfare office and it sickens me at some of the stuff we do. But, that's just a point of view thing. I'm goin' out to plant the herbs now. Sue

<Charlie> wrote in message > Plant a Garden, Get a Tax Break?

Guess people are missing the point from reading the thread. Don't expect "help" in any fashion from the U.S. government for your welfare. Any "help" will result in distortion and dilution of its surface intent. Their only true intent is intrusion and control for its own sake. Many people will not be better off with such "help". If you want to garden, fine. If you want to raise edible food in the garden for your own consumption, fine. Keep the U.S. government, and its piggyback, large corporations, out of your garden.
--
Dave

<Charlie> wrote in message > Plant a Garden, Get a Tax Break?

The only problem with this is that with government support comes government controls; just imagine the regulations you'll have to comply with to get your garden deduction. Every special-interest group in Washington, D.C., will get their hands in it to ensure that you end up with a garden properly balanced among the government's definition of an acceptable diet. Plus, I'm sure that your garden would have to be representative of the diversity of our population to qualify for tax relief. Finally, anything you save on taxes by the garden deduction will be offset by higher government spending to employ the thousands of home gardening inspectors they'll need to ensure compliance with the new regulations. Not that I'm cynical.
Paul
Pavel314 wrote:

And once the government inspections are in place, if you should happen to feed your kid a sprig of parsley from your flowerpot herb garden and neglect to get it inspected first, then you'll be charged with child abuse and youth services will be writing you up every time you leave a crumb on the table until your kids graduate from college.
Heck, if the cat gets into the uninspected catnip patch it will probably be "animal cruelty".
--John