Placement of Avocado Tree

I am looking for a few good candidate plants to grow in the shade of large redwood trees. Would Avocado trees do well there? I understand these plants normally grow in shade of the canopy in the forest. This is for California Bay Area climate.

On 10/23/12 12:55 PM, W wrote:

Sunset's "Western Garden Book" indicates avocados require full sun. While part-shade might be okay in desert areas, you might not get enough heat in the shade in your climate for the fruit to ripen.
In any case, make sure you get a variety suitable for your climate. Not all avocados do well that far north, even in full sun.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see

large
for
Perhaps there are different answers for different cultivars. I read in one source that the Avocado tree's bark cannot protect it from full sun. They grow in the forest canopy and then pop out of the canopy as adults. Of course at that point it is the leaves and not the bark that get full sun exposure.

Adjust your thinking to the tropical climates such as Guatemala and Mexico, where avocados are native plants. Quite a different environment from CA Bay Area, yes? There they may pop out of forest canopy, but that is a near the equator, and a very different solar exposure.... They are definitely NOT going to do well, popping out of a forest of Redwoods;
Avocados need rich soil, perfect drainage, ample moisture in fruit, FULL SUN, and shelter from strong winds. Emilie

Is this not the sort of question state Agricultural Extension departments were designed to answer?
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs