pink bulb with points

I am wondering what is growing on the leaves of my maple trees. It is a 1/2 inch diameter pink bulb with thorn-like protrusions on it. I have photos. Does anyone have any idea what it might be?
Tony wrote:

Maple Eyespot Gall? Or some other gall. HTH
told2b wrote:

Pictures I have seen on the web of maple eyespot gall are simply a discoloration on the leaf. This is actually a bulbous formation (a seperate life form) that appears to either find a home on the leaf or maybe even be parasitic.
Tony wrote:

Try looking up Hedgehog Galls. Usually found on oak but they seem to fit your description. HTH