Ping George.com aka rob from NZ

Page 1 of 2
Do you still have pics online of your greywater system so that Charlie can check see what you are doing to recycle household greywater?

not that I can find. Bloody Charlie, grrr, he should have booked marked at the time.
They might still be up but I long ago deleted the bookmark.
If you can find a discussion in this or rec.gardens.edible from last summer I will have posted a link to the website. Can't find the bastard myself doing a google search however.
rob

- Tampilkan teks kutipan - don't drag me into this debate, I'm just an innocent bystander. I will provide my expertise if someone answers my post about community gardens in Sydney. My experiments with waste water was limited to our summer drought. 4 + months of fa water so I used the water from the washing machine on to the lawn by way of a surge tank (old rubbish bin) and scavanged washing machine pipe joined together with a gravity fall off the back deck. The system worked well. I was initially worried about salt build up from the washing powders. I brought some non-phosphorous powder but I also used some low(ish) phosphorous powder as well. Upon reflection I was not too worried about salt levels in the powder. My problem was a long drought by local standards. I simply wanted to try and nurse the lawn through. 2-3 loads of washing machine water a week was not enough to keep the lawn green but it did mitigate some of the effects of the long drought. We have heaps of rain in winter so salts in the soil will be washed through by constant rainfall. Since mid april we have had roughly 3-4 inchs I guess. That is enought to kick start growth and rains will continue through the winter. As a stop gap measure it worked okish. year round however the salts in the washing powder would worry me. Now, if someone wants to answer my Sydney query: Does nayone living in Syndey know of any community/permaculture/organic gardens within the sydney city? A woman from NZ is over in your city sometime shortly and is interested in visiting such gardens to see how it is done. Any contacts or websites is appreciated rob
--

- Billy

um, yeah maybe. Might be that post. Do you have its name? Somewhere along the way I put some pictures on the net and added a link to a post. The photos showed my fabulous $10 home made lawn watering system. Maybe it is still around.
Though don't think I actually know where I have posted it, but am pretending not to simply because Charlie gave me some duff advice about making cider. I honestly do not know where the post is.
rob

and you burned the pics?
The thread was called "Grey laundry water for garden watering?".
You'll have to excuse Charlie, he's still a Joey (Oops, I'm not in Oz any more). He hasn't even turned 60 yet.
What happened? Last I remember, you had a white film growin' on the surface of the cider, which you were going to remove, and then add some more SO2. If I take take your meaning, it was down the gurler. What happened?
Yeast, sugar, and oxygen are an unstable mix. My advice, if you want advice, is to sterilize all clean equipment with chlorinated water (just so you can smell it in the water) for twenty minutes, rinse clean. There is no way to guestimate SO2 levels. You either need to get a set-up for the Ripper method for free SO2 or keep cider in the fridge (4C). A small cylinder of argon would be helpful also, or they have this gas in a can that your supposed to squirt into partial bottles of wine to drive off the O2 (waste of money for this purpose, if you ask me).
So it's mid fall for you. How was gardening this year? Rain? Where are you? North Island or South Island?
All the best,
--

- Billy

groan, fn google is failing to bring up this thread, fn google ^&(()U** **&&^
can you please post a link to where you recovered it Billy?
Damned Charlie, I am wasting a lot of time on his behalf. He'd better damned appreciate it, even if the end result is me showing how clever I am.
As for your questions, yes, the white film has gone. I cleaned it out with a paper towel and sulphited the brew. That seems to have done the trick. Nowt went down the gurgler, not yet anyway. Before I go to any greater expense or knowledge harvesting on cider, I will see if the results warrant it. Might be a 1 season flirtation depending how it tastes. Had a dry March & April here, lots of sunshine, very nice. Only just packed away my $10 grey water recycling unit actually. Just a change the last few days with more unsettled weather and rain. Garden is starting to grow again though will slow down soon with the colder weather coming in. North Island.
As for Charlies question about the panel beater. Hmmmm. Got rear ended about 6 weeks ago. My work insurance refused to cover claim as it was under escess, suggested I go and claim off third party. Third parties insurance told me to goback to my company and get the 2 insurers top settle issues. My claim dissappeared into some black hole, am attempting to retrieve it. Having worked in insurance in previous job (dead boring, if you want to have a career in insurance, choose a career elsewhere instead) I know how the system works. My work insurer is out of line. Lazy bastards.
rob
http://groups.google.co.id/group/rec.gardens/browse_thread/thread/1220a4f 9884f482a and http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/search.php?searchidW9709&pp %

--

- Billy

http://groups.google.co.id/group/rec.gardens/browse_thread/thread/1220a4f9884f482a
phew, finally found the post with the link. Thanks for the start Billy. It wasn't actually that post however I went through all of my google posts for 2007 and 2008 and finally found it. Having reread a number of the posts, man, I write some shite, um er, I mean, provide valuable and plentiful advice.
Now, for the grumbles. Bloody Farm1, wrong newsgroup. Sent me off on a wild goose chase. I actually posted on aus.gardens. Grrrrr. Still, bright side was it let me relive all the, aheam, valuable advice I have handed out to people. Heres the post. http://groups.google.co.id/group/aus.gardens/browse_thread/thread/db94f53b6f93212f/e97ad1e1443b42cd#e97ad1e1443b42cd
Charlie, now for your reward. The link I provided in the post actually works and the pictures are still up on photobucket, 15 months after I posted them. Amazing. Follow this link and marvel at my cheapness, er, I mean resourcefulness and magnificence.
rob
ps after all this effrot charlie, I expect some decent advice about cider making ok.
http://groups.google.co.id/group/rec.gardens/browse_thread/thread/1220a4f9884f482a

Fair suck of the saveloy rob! I never SAID which group you'd posted it in, I merely remembered being impressed with your do it yourself job and remembered that it was you who'd posted.
You should feel flattered that I bothered to remember your name, your post and which country you lived in. That's more than I do for most ngs posters I read.
And I still think it looks reasonable for the outlay.
In article

High praise, indeed ;O)
--

- Billy

???????? Ok, off to google I goes..........
Jeeze Louise........there's all kinds of meaning and application to that one, but I think I have the sense of it......
"Charlie" wrote in message be given>

gees wayne, you'd need to be a couple short of a crate not to know what that means Charlie. Not wanting to put you crook or anything, but are you playing silly buggers or just being a wanker?
rob
fair go, just pissing around charlie, dinkum. Not trying to brass you off so don't pack a sad about it ok.

No worries mate.
Charlie
wrote in message

http://groups.google.co.id/group/rec.gardens/browse_thread/thread/1220a4f9884f482a
I thought everyone naturally memorised everything I wrote. I thought I give fair dinkum bottler advice. Strewth, maybe you are right though. I blame Charlie mostly, trying to bludge some knowledge off my endeavours started the whole hooha. The silly old chook. That said, hes not a bad joker eh Farml, a real dag. Gees Wayne, this terminology will have Charlie going faster than an HQ down to the pub for a crate or a 10 years old down to the dairy for a packet of lollies. He is still going on about my prang, a right grouse one that it was. Oh well, she'll be right. Hooray.
rob

Yeah, yeah, yeah ya' got me goin' flat tack for meanings, but it was a beaut, a piece-of-piss. Ta.
.......and once again old charlie gets the blame and treated as if he couldn't see the road to the dunny if it had red flags on it.
Here I am, all sorts of impressed with your nifty doodackie, and quite properly appreciative of your hard graft in finding the pics, cracking open a vintage cider and toasting you from afar......and I get treated as if I'm a sammy short of a picnic, by a cheap cheeky bloke who has a cat door in his window, for chrissakes!
Charlie
BTW....check out hooha here:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Hooha

Applause. Now what do the Aussies think.
--

- Billy

Obviously a dictionary for the congenitally deranged.
"Charlie" wrote in message wrote in message

Gordon bennett, you'd be spinning more than a Shane Warne googly wouldn't ya charlie, you hard case.
rob
"Charlie" wrote in message wrote in message

are you not getting enough hows your father or something? I know it can be hard yakka eh, especially for a wowser like you.
rob
on the matter of kiwi-isms. We have some lollies across here called 'eskimos' that are marshmellow type little eskimo figures. A visiting canadian has been in the news this week going crook about how insulting to Inuit the name is. We also have 'eskimo pies', an ice cream bloc covered in chocolate. Glad she didn't have a gawk at them before she went.

Enough root? Hell man, I'm old enough the testeronie levels have subsided a bit and randiness ain't the "problem" it used to be, and that can be a relief! Wowser?, give me an effin' break.
gawd, what a cheeky joker you are! I give already! Eff me, a night at pub with the lot of ya'll would be a harrowing experience for sure. And a cherished event, no doubt.

Heh heh. Lots of that going round. Been a big issue over the last years here about names for school mascots, sports teams and such.
It's a fair point, though.
Chur bo Charlie