Ping George.com aka rob from NZ

Do you still have pics online of your greywater system so that Charlie can check see what you are doing to recycle household greywater?

Reply to
FarmI

not that I can find. Bloody Charlie, grrr, he should have booked marked at the time.

They might still be up but I long ago deleted the bookmark.

If you can find a discussion in this or rec.gardens.edible from last summer I will have posted a link to the website. Can't find the bastard myself doing a google search however.

rob

Reply to
George.com

You don't mean,

- Tampilkan teks kutipan - don't drag me into this debate, I'm just an innocent bystander. I will provide my expertise if someone answers my post about community gardens in Sydney. My experiments with waste water was limited to our summer drought. 4 + months of fa water so I used the water from the washing machine on to the lawn by way of a surge tank (old rubbish bin) and scavanged washing machine pipe joined together with a gravity fall off the back deck. The system worked well. I was initially worried about salt build up from the washing powders. I brought some non-phosphorous powder but I also used some low(ish) phosphorous powder as well. Upon reflection I was not too worried about salt levels in the powder. My problem was a long drought by local standards. I simply wanted to try and nurse the lawn through. 2-3 loads of washing machine water a week was not enough to keep the lawn green but it did mitigate some of the effects of the long drought. We have heaps of rain in winter so salts in the soil will be washed through by constant rainfall. Since mid april we have had roughly 3-4 inchs I guess. That is enought to kick start growth and rains will continue through the winter. As a stop gap measure it worked okish. year round however the salts in the washing powder would worry me. Now, if someone wants to answer my Sydney query: Does nayone living in Syndey know of any community/permaculture/organic gardens within the sydney city? A woman from NZ is over in your city sometime shortly and is interested in visiting such gardens to see how it is done. Any contacts or websites is appreciated rob

Reply to
Billy

um, yeah maybe. Might be that post. Do you have its name? Somewhere along the way I put some pictures on the net and added a link to a post. The photos showed my fabulous $10 home made lawn watering system. Maybe it is still around.

Though don't think I actually know where I have posted it, but am pretending not to simply because Charlie gave me some duff advice about making cider. I honestly do not know where the post is.

rob

Reply to
George.com

and you burned the pics?

The thread was called "Grey laundry water for garden watering?".

You'll have to excuse Charlie, he's still a Joey (Oops, I'm not in Oz any more). He hasn't even turned 60 yet.

What happened? Last I remember, you had a white film growin' on the surface of the cider, which you were going to remove, and then add some more SO2. If I take take your meaning, it was down the gurler. What happened?

Yeast, sugar, and oxygen are an unstable mix. My advice, if you want advice, is to sterilize all clean equipment with chlorinated water (just so you can smell it in the water) for twenty minutes, rinse clean. There is no way to guestimate SO2 levels. You either need to get a set-up for the Ripper method for free SO2 or keep cider in the fridge (4C). A small cylinder of argon would be helpful also, or they have this gas in a can that your supposed to squirt into partial bottles of wine to drive off the O2 (waste of money for this purpose, if you ask me).

So it's mid fall for you. How was gardening this year? Rain? Where are you? North Island or South Island?

All the best,

Reply to
Billy

$10? You cheap bastard.

I like you more all the time!

Well hell, I guess you must be forgiven for your honesty. Speaking of forgiven, how did the episode with the boss and the bonnet beater turn out?

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Oh sure, blame bloody Charlie for *his* brain fog.

Reply to
Charlie

no, I blame charlie for my cider making problems.

rob

Reply to
George.com

Huh? Bastards seem to be a booming demographic.

Reply to
Billy

Yeah, well, ya' old bastard...........you know how a joey is when it learns a new word.......

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

........and I s'pose I'll get the blame for the hangover also.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

yes, and if the end result tastes crap.

rob

Reply to
George.com

groan, fn google is failing to bring up this thread, fn google ^&(()U**

**&&^

can you please post a link to where you recovered it Billy?

Damned Charlie, I am wasting a lot of time on his behalf. He'd better damned appreciate it, even if the end result is me showing how clever I am.

As for your questions, yes, the white film has gone. I cleaned it out with a paper towel and sulphited the brew. That seems to have done the trick. Nowt went down the gurgler, not yet anyway. Before I go to any greater expense or knowledge harvesting on cider, I will see if the results warrant it. Might be a 1 season flirtation depending how it tastes. Had a dry March & April here, lots of sunshine, very nice. Only just packed away my $10 grey water recycling unit actually. Just a change the last few days with more unsettled weather and rain. Garden is starting to grow again though will slow down soon with the colder weather coming in. North Island.

As for Charlies question about the panel beater. Hmmmm. Got rear ended about

6 weeks ago. My work insurance refused to cover claim as it was under escess, suggested I go and claim off third party. Third parties insurance told me to goback to my company and get the 2 insurers top settle issues. My claim dissappeared into some black hole, am attempting to retrieve it. Having worked in insurance in previous job (dead boring, if you want to have a career in insurance, choose a career elsewhere instead) I know how the system works. My work insurer is out of line. Lazy bastards.

rob

Reply to
George.com

Reply to
Billy

finally found the post with the link. Thanks for the start Billy. It wasn't actually that post however I went through all of my google posts for

2007 and 2008 and finally found it. Having reread a number of the posts, man, I write some s**te, um er, I mean, provide valuable and plentiful advice.

Now, for the grumbles. Bloody Farm1, wrong newsgroup. Sent me off on a wild goose chase. I actually posted on aus.gardens. Grrrrr. Still, bright side was it let me relive all the, aheam, valuable advice I have handed out to people. Heres the post.

now for your reward. The link I provided in the post actually works and the pictures are still up on photobucket, 15 months after I posted them. Amazing. Follow this link and marvel at my cheapness, er, I mean resourcefulness and magnificence.

rob

ps after all this effrot charlie, I expect some decent advice about cider making ok.

Reply to
George.com

> phew, finally found the post with the link. Thanks for the start Billy. It

Fair suck of the saveloy rob! I never SAID which group you'd posted it in, I merely remembered being impressed with your do it yourself job and remembered that it was you who'd posted.

You should feel flattered that I bothered to remember your name, your post and which country you lived in. That's more than I do for most ngs posters I read.

And I still think it looks reasonable for the outlay.

Reply to
FarmI

High praise, indeed ;O)

Reply to
Billy

>phew, finally found the post with the link. Thanks for the start Billy. It

Heh heh.....been there......sometimes wonder if that was really me posting (may have been the cider or ale).

Hey yeah....you've been grumbling me up and it was Farml that pulled your chain. ;-)

I do indeed marvel at your resourcefulness, Cheapie McCheaperton. Truly magnificent in it's simplicity and functionality!! Thank ye kindly for the time spent in finding what you misplaced! (sounds like me looking for my capper or any other tool that I have misplaced)

And, is that a cat door that provides access thru the window? Excellant, excellant!!!!

Ah, we are workin' off the same formulas and your post made me go move about a quarter garage full of stuff to get to the storage hole for the bottles of cider, in order to sample and hoist one to your magnificence. It's reached a fine old age of two months in the bottle. I gently pried of the cap and was rewarded with a champagne-like burst of carbonation, though little came out the top. It was releasing carbonation just like champagne for several minutes before I poured it into a glass, and it made a nice head of bubbles.

Thinking kind thoughts of you and reminiscing over your tails of woe, I pronounced this first batch of cider.....fine stuff. Should get even better.

I think I shall name this first batch and should make labels.....

"Cheap Rob's Finest"

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

???????? Ok, off to google I goes..........

Jeeze Louise........there's all kinds of meaning and application to that one, but I think I have the sense of it......

Reply to
Charlie

If it is sweet, you need some crepes. If it is dry, make some gallettes Breton.

Reply to
Billy