Ping Chuck, Billy et al (cider stupidity & cooking sherry)

Page 1 of 2
Some bastards never learn eh. This easter I am contemplating having another go at some rought home made cider. I am trying to get a better (cheap) rig together. Benchmark is this guy
He spent 40 euros apparently. Should be able to do it cheaper than that.
Afer work one day this week I thought I'd get stuck in to the good bottle of sherry I had gathering dust in the booze rack. Disaster. Must've drunk it at some stage before. I did find the cooking sherry.
rob

this guy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
fvkiSHOsY
40 euros!! bloody spendthrift.
rob

I didn't quite get what he made the press cage out of (Damn ears are failing me.). The cage is what gets the pressure, with little support. Perhaps he was just demonstrating the equipment, but he was squeezing the apple slurry much too quickly. You need to let the cake drain before continuing or some of the juice will be physically blocked from draining. Rice hulls would help the juice find its way around the pectins.
My god, have you seen the price of Calvados recently? Couple of years ago, I could get a bottle for $15. Now it is $40 and (way) up.

Hmmmm.....maybe 'cuz the dollor ain't worth....oh, niver mind.
Charlie

frame was wooden, screwed & gang nailed. A bottle jack A couple of old wood turned spindles Some mdf cut for a pressure board An old drum to take the apple cake A baking tray with a 'nodge' cut out of it
Thats about it.

good tip, thanks.

????? ????????

-----------> cooking sherry, $10 nz odd per 1 litre bottle.

to give it a good coat of food grade paint. The acids from the apple juice will leach metal and can cause a haze in the cider. <http://www.vines.org/servlet/VinesRender?search sse>

I took it to mean a 'bang bang' type drum. I assume it is a wooden with the skin taken off.
If it is metal I guess the joker would've been aware of rust etc.
I am using a plastic bucket.
rob

OK, I just wanted to voice my concerns. The plastic bucket, is it food grade plastic? It is probably more of a concern for fermenters, but you may want to consider it. http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/plastics.html

Man, the guy drinks cooking sherry....a little plastic leachate likely ain't gonna hurt 'im one bit.
Charlie
"Charlie" wrote in message

If I could buy cooking sherry from a second hand shop, that'd be grand.
rob

uh, second hand sherry? You might want to reconsider that one, Rob ;O)

Yes. Its HDPE which is a recyclable 2. That was free. My press plates are also food grade, being 2 old plastic chopping boards that I got from second hand shops for 50c each and cut down. My 'turkey baking tray' is a food grade steel waiters tray that I also got for 50c. I will have to cut a 'nodge' in it.
My 3 spindles are not food grade but they also cost a dollar or 2 from second hand shops. I am going to try and borrow a bottle jack from a neighbour. If I can't locate one it'll be the scissor jack. I ain't spending $40 on a brand new bottle jack. The wooden frame I used last year may do the job again. I'll inspect it next weekend. Might need to laminate my top & bottom plates. If not, I'll go and get some scrap lengths of timber and bodge up a sturdy frame. Likely $5 to $10 for all the wood, nails, screws etc. I'll try and keep costs down by salvaging some of the screws & mails from my old frame if I need to build a new one.
That should suffice.
Rob

I put you guys crook there. It wasn't 50 cents, it was actually 20 cents.
That is about 10 cents in old US currency but probably about 50cents now, since your dollar plunged.
rob

Plummet is more like it.
The dollar is in the toilette, and the jobs have been sent to Singapore and Malaysia, where one needn't worry about environmental pollution or regulations about sweatshops. With more than 820 military installations in at least 135 countries, fighting two and a half wars in the Middle East, supporting another in Somalia, and planning for another against Venezuela, our War Dept. has a base budget of $533.8billion, plus an additional $130.0billion was requested for operations in the profitable, but fictitious, War on Terrorism. Altogether, the U.S. spends about $664billion per year on its military, constituting approximately 40% of world military expenditures spent by 5% of the world's population. Outside of direct War Dept.'s spending, the United States spends another $185237billion each year on other defense(?)-related programs.
Just think, if America only spent 25% of the world's military expenditures we could have healthcare for everyone, universal college education, clean water for the entire world, and I might be able to visit France again.
In article

<http://books.google.com/books?id=hLZuuFGU4BQC&printsec=frontcover&dq=lov e+of+war&source=bll&ots=YICZdCghdz&sig=txGrqnqUtEw7iZ06xRdoEbmvXeI&hl=en& ei=phupS4LCNMGAlAfG7p2-Dw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum&ved D sQ6AEwCw#v=onepage&q=&flse>
or http://preview.tinyurl.com/ya3qekh
I'm 62 had war about all my life and my dad and his did too. Lost My dad dads to german strapenal. Get a respite and think perhaps there is a glimmer of humanity and CNN gets the que to start talking about destruction like it is a way of life . Perhaps it is. The locations may differ but we are always over there over there yes the yanks are coming etc.
A cure I like to believe is acting like Cost Rica but I'm screwed up.
--
Bill Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
<http://www.globalissues.org/article/75/world-military-spending

Unfortunately, those running the show don't think like you....or give a ratsrump....too bad for 99% of the world. Gimme screwed up anyday, by your definition.
from: http://www.joebageant.com/joe/2010/03/cantina-tolteca.html#more
(Bill, if you arent familiar with Joe Bageant, I highly recommend that old hippie...you likely might like...the guy did "stuff" with hunter and tim and the likes)
"Our attention spans are briefer than a rabbit fuck. Anything in depth is anathema. Only slogans and brands survive. We do not understand much of anything in depth except the football rating system."
"But we do understand war, or believe we do, so "War on Drugs" works as a brand. It has been that way ever since the post World War II military industrialization of the country's economy and consciousness -- which are pretty much the same to us. War, of one sort or another, is the solution to most of those things that we are told threaten America -- which is to say American capitalism -- either directly or indirectly. And according to the long running national storyline, they have always come from outside our borders -- Barbary pirates, white slavers, the "Cold War," against anti-capitalist communism, terrorism, Islam, drugs, job loss to Mexicans and to China, swine flu, bird flu. Never-never-never do they result from our own actions, misjudgments or, heaven help us, our own folly."
Charlie

bottle jack $20 purchased today. Could not find one anywhere so had to purchase. That about $200 to $300 US I think.

I think Obama has made some significant progress with your health reforms. Our health system is national & paid from taxes. It isn't perfect and has some problems but is something the nations values and wants to keep. We also put hundreds of millions a year in to making primary health care low cost. You guys are missing out.
rob

That's what we Yanks hate about you Kiwi coming in here, and all you ever say is "how much?" The worlds not about money you know. At least a tiny part of it isn't.

Maybe, a perspective from 10530 kilometres away would improve it. We are still waiting to see the smoke and mirrors in this 2,300+ pages of legislation. The down side is that it is mandatory to buy health insurance from blood-sucking, private insurance companies, or financial penalties will be levied against those who don't comply. If we are all good little citizens, the insurance companies will make a killing. There seems to be some good things in the bill, like imposing anti-trust laws to suppress collusion in price fixing, not losing your insurance when you lose your job, not being denied coverage because you have a medical condition (in some cases that means having an uterus). I heard that we will have about the same health coverage as Germany and Japan, only it will cost twice as much. http://www.democracynow.org/2010/3/23/michael_moore_health_care_bill_a
But remember that this is brought to us by the same people who still allow the CIA to torture, continue Bush's militarism, and won't prosecute the last administration for breaking American laws and international treaties, promote nuclear energy (the kind that makes plutonium: boom), promotes the use of fossil fuel, does nothing about our farm subsidies that undercuts farmers in Mexico and Haiti (to name only a couple) and promotes junk food and obesity, and just renewed our damnable "Patriot Act" that spies on everyone (if your computer has a webcam, I suggest that you cover it when it's not in use). http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/02/18/national/main6220751.shtml
1% of Americans are in jail. Schools are losing funding (larger and fewer classes). Right-wing wackos closed down the national anti-poverty group, Acorn <http://www.democracynow.org/2010/3/12/judge_instructs_fed_agencies_to_re sume>, and 180,000 Americans will die before the reform goes into effect.<http://www.democracynow.org/2010/3/18/dennis_kucinich_and_ralph_nader_a
Other than that, it's a little foggy here in the redwoods this morning, with partial sun this afternoon, and a high of 67F (19C).
I planted some La Ratte, French Fingerlings, and some German Butterball potatoes yesterday, as well as some schallots, and radishes. Discovered some tiny parsnips from last year while digging holes for the potatoes. Last year a raccoon wiped-out most of my carrots and (I thought) all of my parsnips. I replanted the ones that I dug up. Hope they take.
Snails almost completely striped my dwarf orange tree (They'll pay for that, grr). Chives are back up, and many herbs are showing signs of life (chives, echinacea, lemon balm, black cohosh, stinging nettle, burdoch, borage, fringe pink, elcampane, mother's wort, and calendula).
I've mostly been trying to avoid work by re-potting my seedling. Don't know how much more I can do though since I now have 6 trays of 6-packs and 4" pots, which means an 8 hr. rotation with two trays under the grow light at any given time. No wonder they are called nurseries. This is just like caring for a baby.
Wonder if there is still a tinnie in the fridge?
Later,

Here is a visual to put an exclamation point on Billy's post....
Pictures worth thousands of words, so it has been said...
http://cohort11.americanobserver.net/latoyaegwuekwe/multimediafinal.html
Charlie, in the middle, bein' squeezed hard and fast from left and right, up and down.
"Charlie" wrote in message

ahhhhhhh, thank you neo-liberal deregulated capitalism for such a successful unemployment rate. The UR rate is up to 7.3% here, having been as low as 3.4% a couple of years ago. Don't you just love the 'leave it to the market' jokers.
rob