Ping: Cheryl Isaak

Page 2 of 2

My next computer is going to be a Mac. Dell has sucked the life out of me, and Microsoft has nothing to offer. Same old.
Ann wrote:

Surely MS isn't the only provider of newsreaders for a MAC.
--

Travis in Shoreline Washington

On 10/5/07 2:48 AM, in article Z6lNi.24413$Im1.4830@trnddc01, "Travis"

No, but as I said, I really like Entourage - it is so usable, I can't believe it really came from a drone.

MT-NewsWatcher is best and free News Group reader there is for the Mac. They do ask for a $25 donation. It is easily worth it. It is up to you.
The link: http://www.smfr.org/mtnw
Their are other readers out their for the Mac - just not worth it. MT-NewsWather is far better than anything MS offers.
Enjoy Life ....... Dan
--
Email "dan lehr at comcast dot net". Text only or goes to trash automatically.

On 10/2/07 6:25 PM, in article PzzMi.586$0I5.511@trnddc08, "Travis"

It was a joke man.
Actually, I'm stuck with some Microsoft products until the last kid is out of HS. There are at least three teachers a year that require all papers to be also turned in as a Word file on a CD. No other format is allowed.
Actually, I keep wondering how Entourage got to be so useable.
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Write a stern E-mail to the school board. Include such phrases as "economics"; "forced purchases" [Word and CDs]; "discrimination"; "PDF"[free, universal, and uncopyable]; "resource waste", and so forth. Also note that it's a waste of time, energy and resources (burning a CD) for a tiny bit of info that could be easily e-mailed if the "teacher" had a brain and a will to stop such waste and rigidity. I bet they have to turn in a printed copy, too, no?
Aaaaaaccchhhhh!
--
john mcwilliams

On 10/3/07 12:03 PM, in article 6eedneiGCopaIZ7anZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com, "John McWilliams"

(which is why there is a stack on write onlys and a stack of read-writes)
Honestly, I'm just way too tired right now to deal with that fight. But, I'm wondering about sending the younger one to a private HS.
I actually understand some of the .doc only format; it allows the teacher to run a program that checks for plagiarism with a web search (oh the sites out there for essays on just about any subject, book, etc and desired grade you want to get.)
I'd love to be a fly on the wall if/when a freeware guru runs in to those teachers. Cheryl
I use Turnitin, but it doesnt have to be in .doc format, it can be copy/pasted from any format. Ingrid

But that would be the teacher would have some extra work, heaven's forbid. (yes, I am not happy with the state of "English" instruction locally.)
On 10/4/07 10:09 AM, in article 4704f308$0$1342$ snipped-for-privacy@reader.greatnowhere.com, " snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com"

interesting. I require all files as .rtf since I WONT accept word.doc documents.
Ingrid

snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com wrote:

why rtf?? Do you accept PDFs?
--
johnmcwilliams

On 10/2/07 6:25 PM, in article PzzMi.586$0I5.511@trnddc08, "Travis"

On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 15:30:18 -0400, Leon Fisk

Vista. I say Vista Shmista. I have a gig of RAM and this Vista really needs two gigs to run properly. I find it a bit slow. I was using XP Pro (husband works at Dell) and I have a new 9400 Inspiron to replace the lemon 9300 I returned after two years. Please, anyone buying a Dell, buy the three year complete care package.
rant off
I keep swearing I will convert to REd Hat or some such every year, but they are going to have to pry my cold dead fingers off my win2000, I wont consider using spyware XP or Vista. My DH is using my itty laptop because his XP wont run on his brand new, high powered computer he needs to teach robotics ..... thanks to Bill Gates registration spyware program. Ingrid

snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com wrote:

taste. And mileage will vary....
You can run Win2000 on a MacIntel directly until you are used to the Mac OS, and then you'll never look back.
--
john mcwilliams

Win2000? "Boot Camp" lets me run XP in my Intel Mac for a couple of applications that don't have a Mac counterpart.
--
FB - FFF

Billy

On 10/1/07 5:14 PM, in article SbGdnSxY5Zu9_pzanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com,