Ping: Cheryl Isaak

Page 1 of 2
Can I ask you something via e-mail?

Pardon my querry, what does the Ping do in the subject line?
Jangchub wrote:

It's a computer term used mainly in reference to cross server communications in which a "ping" (small packet of data) is sent to confirm that the other server is alive (connectible). In the event that a server receives a ping, a pong is sent back which is a conformation data packet made up of EPOCH time.
But in this case, consider it a "hey you".. :p
On 10/2/07 12:31 AM, in article aOjMi.85189$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews8.bellsouth.net,

*P*acket *IN*ternet *G*roper = PING A small program used to test the connection and function of remote destinations by sending out messages and waiting for replies.
I'm beyond ancient, Cheryl..~chuckle~...I was a "nerd" and that was before geek (General Electrical Engineering Knowledge) was an acknowledged computer related title and a hacker was revered as an awe inspiring Wizard instead of, as now, some nefarious, destructive criminal. I programmed with zeros and ones (binary machine language) using machines chiseled from rock and fueled by the skimming of tar pits ;)
"All Your Base Are Belong To Us" Val

We used to call some folks Wizards.
Bill who knows what VAX notes were and grew up with the notion that I was always addressing my best friend.
Looking for Leopard slowly.
--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 23:31:02 -0500, Scott Hildenbrand

thanks for explaining. I've seen it over the years and always wondered what it meant!
On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 07:44:16 -0500, Jangchub

Not sure just what flavor Windows you are running, but if you can bring up a command prompt, type in:
ping yahoo.com
Then try it again with something made up, like this:
ping www.youbethaha.com
Have fun!
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

What is this Windows? Are they some thing you open to make air move about?
Cheryl (I hate the evil empire)
Cheryl Isaak said:

Then, don't use it. =)
--

Eggs

-Bills travel through the mail at twice the speed of checks.
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Why are you using a Microsoft product if that is how you feel?
--

Travis in Shoreline Washington

Ever heard of a Mac?
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Ann wrote:

She is using Microsoft-Entourage/10.1.6.040913.0 on her Mac.
Look at the headers in her posts.
--

Travis in Shoreline Washington

I know, but as she explained, she's tied to the Bog, at least partially, until everyone is out of school. I knew she was a Mac person. I, on the other hand, run Windblows but try to run as much as possible that isn't M$.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Borg, my fingers are too fast for my brain.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Mac's Rule .....
Almost all of Mac'c word processing software can read, convert and save files as rtf, doc, txt and pdf on to a CD the PCs can understand. Use the "Export" command from most programs.
What I reject is HTML emails and files, unless I pre-approve the address. That format can cause problems, such as more junk mail. That is why I do not get any junk mail. Even though my email address is listed at the end of this posting. Junk mailers for some reason do not send straight text.
Most Mac's also have no need for anti-virus and anti-spyware. In ten years my Macs have never crashed, caught a virus or spyware. Some Mac's may need such software IF they are forwarding emails, but I could care less about the PC world. What Macs do need is a really good firewall to make sure bad people do not get good data, but then again so do PCs.
Repeating others, Mac's can run Microsoft Software for PC's also, however I can not think of one good reason why.
Yes, Macs can also Ping.
I am now going outside and pick some squash, tomatoes, peppers, carrots, romaine and leaf lettuce for my dinner... IN OCTOBER !!!!!!! ... IN MICHIGAN... 85 DEGREES TODAY... cool :)
Enjoy Life ..... Dan
--
Email "dan lehr at comcast dot net". Text only or goes to trash automatically.

On 10/4/07 6:47 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@comcast.dca.giganews.com, "Dan L."

Can I come over for dinner?
Consider yourself soundly bussed for your praise of Macs. C

Hmmmm...... Tempting ..... I have personal rules. Do not date anyone at work or online. It is safer that way.
If you are only after my great tasting tomatoes --- NO! their all mine mine mine .....
Happily single, with my female friends with bonuses ..... Dan
--
Email "dan lehr at comcast dot net". Text only or goes to trash automatically.

On 10/5/07 3:04 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@comcast.dca.giganews.com, "Dan L."

;)
Dan L. wrote:

that's the good life. to finish off a productive day with a trip out to the garden to pull dinner fresh from the vine, stalk, plant or bush.
you go Dan..