Ping: Cheryl Isaak

Can I ask you something via e-mail?

Reply to
AlanG

Pardon my querry, what does the Ping do in the subject line?

Reply to
Jangchub

It's a computer term used mainly in reference to cross server communications in which a "ping" (small packet of data) is sent to confirm that the other server is alive (connectible). In the event that a server receives a ping, a pong is sent back which is a conformation data packet made up of EPOCH time.

But in this case, consider it a "hey you".. :p

Reply to
Scott Hildenbrand

Sure - I'm not around the rest of the day, so wait until late tonight or first thing tomorrow AM. C

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

And reveals who the ancient computer geeks are! LOL C

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

thanks for explaining. I've seen it over the years and always wondered what it meant!

Jangchub

Not sure just what flavor Windows you are running, but if you can bring up a command prompt, type in:

ping yahoo.com

Then try it again with something made up, like this:

ping

Have fun!

Reply to
Leon Fisk

*P*acket *IN*ternet *G*roper = PING A small program used to test the connection and function of remote destinations by sending out messages and waiting for replies.

I'm beyond ancient, Cheryl..~chuckle~...I was a "nerd" and that was before geek (General Electrical Engineering Knowledge) was an acknowledged computer related title and a hacker was revered as an awe inspiring Wizard instead of, as now, some nefarious, destructive criminal. I programmed with zeros and ones (binary machine language) using machines chiseled from rock and fueled by the skimming of tar pits ;)

"All Your Base Are Belong To Us" Val

Reply to
Val

What is this Windows? Are they some thing you open to make air move about?

Cheryl (I hate the evil empire)

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

We used to call some folks Wizards.

Bill who knows what VAX notes were and grew up with the notion that I was always addressing my best friend.

Looking for Leopard slowly.

Reply to
William Wagner

Why are you using a Microsoft product if that is how you feel?

Reply to
Travis

Then, don't use it. =)

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

Travis expounded:

Ever heard of a Mac?

Reply to
Ann

Vista. I say Vista Shmista. I have a gig of RAM and this Vista really needs two gigs to run properly. I find it a bit slow. I was using XP Pro (husband works at Dell) and I have a new 9400 Inspiron to replace the lemon 9300 I returned after two years. Please, anyone buying a Dell, buy the three year complete care package.

rant off

Reply to
Jangchub

It was a joke man.

Actually, I'm stuck with some Microsoft products until the last kid is out of HS. There are at least three teachers a year that require all papers to be also turned in as a Word file on a CD. No other format is allowed.

Actually, I keep wondering how Entourage got to be so useable.

Cheryl Isaak

Oh and by the way, I'm on a Mac. Sadly running a few microsoft products.. C

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

Write a stern E-mail to the school board. Include such phrases as "economics"; "forced purchases" [Word and CDs]; "discrimination"; "PDF"[free, universal, and uncopyable]; "resource waste", and so forth. Also note that it's a waste of time, energy and resources (burning a CD) for a tiny bit of info that could be easily e-mailed if the "teacher" had a brain and a will to stop such waste and rigidity. I bet they have to turn in a printed copy, too, no?

Aaaaaaccchhhhh!

Reply to
John McWilliams

Of course they do - waste paper and don't get the CD back half the time. (which is why there is a stack on write onlys and a stack of read-writes)

Honestly, I'm just way too tired right now to deal with that fight. But, I'm wondering about sending the younger one to a private HS.

I actually understand some of the .doc only format; it allows the teacher to run a program that checks for plagiarism with a web search (oh the sites out there for essays on just about any subject, book, etc and desired grade you want to get.)

I'd love to be a fly on the wall if/when a freeware guru runs in to those teachers. Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

interesting. I require all files as .rtf since I WONT accept word.doc documents.

Reply to
dr-solo

Reply to
dr-solo