Ping Charlie and Billy

UN Expert Seeks to Halt Biofuel Output By EDITH M. LEDERER Associated Press Writer

Oct 26th, 2007 | UNITED NATIONS -- A U.N. expert on Friday called the growing practice of converting food crops into biofuel "a crime against humanity," saying it is creating food shortages and price jumps that cause millions of poor people to go hungry.

Jean Ziegler, who has been the United Nations' independent expert on the right to food since the position was established in 2000, called for a five-year moratorium on biofuel production to halt what he called a growing "catastrophe" for the poor.

Scientific research is progressing very quickly, he said, "and in five years it will be possible to make biofuel and biodiesel from agricultural waste" rather than wheat, corn, sugar cane and other food crops.

Using biofuel instead of gasoline in cars is generally considered to cut carbon dioxide emissions, which contribute to global warming ? although some scientists say greenhouse gases released during the production of biofuel could offset those gains.

The use of crops for biofuel has being pursued especially in Brazil and the United States.

Last March, President Bush and Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva signed an agreement committing their countries to boosting ethanol production. They said increasing use of alternative fuels would lead to more jobs, a cleaner environment and greater independence from the whims of the oil market.

Ziegler called their motives legitimate, but said that "the effect of transforming hundreds and hundreds of thousands of tons of maize, of wheat, of beans, of palm oil, into agricultural fuel is absolutely catastrophic for the hungry people."

The world price of wheat doubled in one year and the price of corn quadrupled, leaving poor countries, especially in Africa, unable to pay for the imported food needed to feed their people, he said. And poor people in those countries are unable to pay the soaring prices for the food that does come in, he added.

"So it's a crime against humanity" to devote agricultural land to biofuel production, Ziegler said a news conference. "What has to be stopped is ... the growing catastrophe of the massacre (by) hunger in the world," he said.

As an example, he said, it takes 510 pounds of corn to produce 13 gallons of ethanol. That much corn could feed a child in Zambia or Mexico for a year, he said.

Ziegler, a sociology professor at the University of Geneva and the University of the Sorbonne in Paris, presented a report Thursday to the U.N. General Assembly's human rights committee saying a five-year moratorium on biofuel production would allow time for new technologies for using agricultural byproducts instead of food itself.

Researchers are looking at crop residues such as corn cobs, rice husks and banana leaves, he said. "The cultivation of Jatropha Curcas, a shrub that produces large oil-bearing seeds, appears to offer a good solution as it can be grown in arid lands that are not normally suitable for food crops," he said.

Salon provides breaking news articles from the Associated Press as a service to its readers, but does not edit the AP articles it publishes.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

........................ I'm not making a cent on this.

Bill

Reply to
William Wagner

Thanks for the heads up Bill. The problem though is that even before our War Crimes Poster boy of a unelected president got into office, another administration (Clinton who sold arms to Indonesia for use in East Timor) that that sanctions against Iraq that caused the deaths of

500,000 children under 5 years of age were acceptable.

With "War Crimes" candidate Bush, the more blood that flows the better (more war, more profits). We are already arming both the Shia and the Sunni militias, who are both trying to kill each other and Americans. This is essentially the same thing that Kermit Roosevelt did in Iran to depose Mohammad Mosaddeq and install the Shah.

Let me also remind you of Operation Northwoods ( You can go to

for a summary or just Google it.

Walt Disney is dead everybody. That America never existed.

Reply to
Billy
*snip*

While you're "pinging" them, hope you don't mind if I play off it...

Charlie, I was wondering if you have read anything from RM Barry/Melaleuca &, if so, what your thoughts are on them? Sounds like some stuff straight up your alley... ~Rae

Reply to
rachael simpson

Hey girl, glad to see you are no longer being forced to be "impure", using the google! ;-) And really thankful you are getting the rain.

Now, Melaleuca, tea tree oil (Ti tree) is a good agent for its antimicrobial activity. Works on a number of skin problems, etc. I don't know which varieties of maleleuca are utilized in Barry's products.

I use tea tree oil sometimes for bug bites, skin irritations and fungal issues and am satisfied with it efficacy. Smells like kerosene, but it covers the garlic smell. ;-)

Not sure what your interest is.......in the products or as an associate involved in sales/marketing/whatever they are calling it. An acquaintence of mine, many years ago, tried to interest me in the melaleuca thing, but having been involved with the whole shaklee MLM thing years before that, and attempts at folks getting me involved in amway, I passed.

As far as Richard Barry's organization, and this is not a judgement upon Richard, or his work, I do not trust MLMs. I don't recommend anyone become involved with them, whether it be shaklee, amway, melaleuca or whatever. If you want to succeed with many MLM schemes, you may be put in a position of sacrificing your soul, so to speak, in order to be a team player, and as you may have noticed, I am not much of a team player.

And..... you may lose some money. Or you may make some money.

I other words, I ain't got much for you on this, my dear.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Haha....very funny!

ME TOO!!

A friend is trying to get me to set up an account. I have been using some of the products on and off over the course of a couple of years. The main thing I was trying to ask about was the books that they have written on "stop poisoning my children"... haven't read these myself...just come across them in a web search earlier.

I don't go for MLMs either!

Reply to
rachael simpson

I'm not sure if this is relevant

A female friend of mine used to have huge problems with thrush (candidiasis) and swears by teatree oil as the safe and effective cure. Never tried it myself.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

I thought so!:-)

Good for you. You already have the knowledge and desire to do the best for your kids. Keep at it and always, always, be thinking about what is going in them and on them, both at home and elsewhere. It is sad that it is such a difficult task, to keep poisons and chemicals of all sorts out of our kids and ourselves. It shouldn't have to be that way, Rae. My generation apparently couldn't stop it, and now you, like those of us who tried, have to deal with the poisoning of our children and continue the resistance.

On a gardening note: I picked another batch of green beans today. This is the end of October!!!!!! You do *not* pick green beans in the far north of missouri on the 26th of october! We're all having to learn new things these days!

bless ya' girl, and keep at it Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Man that must be nice!! you don't pick green beans around here in October either...especially in a drought. I've already had to put a dent in the ones that I canned this summer! Weird weather, huh?

Yeah, you too! Off to bed now, it's past my bedtime! ~Rae

Reply to
rachael simpson

Hmmm.......garlic also has strong antibacterial and antifungal properties......scroll down to garlic on the following page for method of use.

*may* be a bit of a problem, they say.

Charlie, The Garlic Advocate ;-)

Reply to
Charlie