Ping Billy

Billy you might get a giggle out of the allusion I made in another ng yesterday to the benefits of travel. Have a look at the post I made in uk.rec.gardening in the thread 'Allotment rents rise 300%'. :-)))

Reply to
FarmI

I think we need the equivalent of a "Godwin's Law" for discussing Australia. Don't let the Nong get you Knackered. Ain't nothin' a tinnie can't fix :O)

G'day

Reply to
Billy

:-)) I do see what you mean but those nongs only cause boredom at best.

I'm curious about why so few American's seem to know about their own country's convict history. Most will deny it, and even amongst those few who have heard tell of it, it'd be rarer still to find anyone who can mention a colony where convicts were sent.

Reply to
FarmI

Georgia, I got Georgia on my mind, but I've been wrong before so I waited to confirm it, before cranking-up that alligator mouth of mine. I can't think of the last time I've heard anybody say anything about our British penal colonies. It sounds like our revolution sent the Brits off to Australia in search of a home for their seditious types. Interesting, I wasn't aware of the connection between the establishment of our two countries.

Stay cool,

Reply to
Billy

"Seditious" including being sentenced to transportation for stealing a loaf of bread. Prisoners were kept in stinking death ships off the coast of England until they could be sent to Australia.

Interesting,

Must reading on history of Australia:

"The Fatal Shore" by Robert Huges.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Sounds like "Les Miserables" all over again, except Jean Valjean was never deported to a prison colony.

It is available used, in hardback from those cochons over at Amazon for as little as a penny, plus $3.99 for S&H.

Viva Bradley Manning, or whoever was responsible for the information passed on by Wikileaks.

Reply to
Billy

You win several Kewpie dolls for those comments :-)))

Reply to
FarmI

"The Fatal Shore: The Epic of Australia's Founding" by Robert Hughes

(available at the "sty" above, or at better libraries near you)

Reply to
Billy

I try not to buy from Amazon since they (inter alia) cut off Julian Assange's account. Patronize local independent bookstores instead. Note that authors get smaller royalties when books are bought through Amazon.

HB

HB [...]

Reply to
Higgs Boson