Ping Billy

Billy you might get a giggle out of the allusion I made in another ng yesterday to the benefits of travel. Have a look at the post I made in uk.rec.gardening in the thread 'Allotment rents rise 300%'. :-)))

I think we need the equivalent of a "Godwin's Law" for discussing Australia. Don't let the Nong get you Knackered. Ain't nothin' a tinnie can't fix :O)
G'day
--
- Billy
"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the
be given> wrote:

:-)) I do see what you mean but those nongs only cause boredom at best.
I'm curious about why so few American's seem to know about their own country's convict history. Most will deny it, and even amongst those few who have heard tell of it, it'd be rarer still to find anyone who can mention a colony where convicts were sent.

Georgia, I got Georgia on my mind, but I've been wrong before so I waited to confirm it, before cranking-up that alligator mouth of mine. I can't think of the last time I've heard anybody say anything about our British penal colonies. It sounds like our revolution sent the Brits off to Australia in search of a home for their seditious types. Interesting, I wasn't aware of the connection between the establishment of our two countries.
Stay cool,
--
- Billy
"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the

"Seditious" including being sentenced to transportation for stealing a loaf of bread. Prisoners were kept in stinking death ships off the coast of England until they could be sent to Australia.
Interesting,

Must reading on history of Australia:
"The Fatal Shore" by Robert Huges.
HB

In article

Sounds like "Les Miserables" all over again, except Jean Valjean was never deported to a prison colony.
It is available used, in hardback from those cochons over at Amazon for as little as a penny, plus $3.99 for S&H.
Viva Bradley Manning, or whoever was responsible for the information passed on by Wikileaks.

--
- Billy
"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the
In article

"The Fatal Shore: The Epic of Australia's Founding" by Robert Hughes <(Amazon.com product link shortened) /ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid96837494&sr=1-1> (available at the "sty" above, or at better libraries near you)
--
- Billy

I try not to buy from Amazon since they (inter alia) cut off Julian Assange's account. Patronize local independent bookstores instead. Note that authors get smaller royalties when books are bought through Amazon.
HB
HB [...]
be given> wrote:

You win several Kewpie dolls for those comments :-)))