pine cone question

Hi All,

My Ponderosa Pine in my back yard has its first pine cones. Five in a ring at the top. They are about 3 inches long and 1-1/2 inch wide.

I would eventually like to sprout my own new trees from the seeds. Is there some rules as to when to pick them?

And can I plant them immediately, or do I have to wait for next spring?

Many thanks,

-T

Yes, I am a proud father!

Reply to
Todd

If you're over forty you'll likely expire before those seeds become trees.

Brooklyn1

Todd wrote: ...

when they fall they're ready. they might need fire/heat or smoke in some manner to either open the cone or encourage germination.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Thank you for the links!

They grow a foot a year by the way.

Reply to
Todd

Hi Brooklyn1,

Just read over the first link. Those seeds really get pampered! Bet they have no clue how their cousins in the wild live!

Thank you again for the tips!

-T

Reply to
Todd

Hi Songbird,

I know that Ponderosas do open without fire. Lodge pones, like in Yellowstone, do need fire.

I have tried to get some seeds from the wild, but the squirrels get to them first.

You can tell a Jeffery Pine from a Ponderosa, as the stickers on the cone go out and a Ponderosa (they will stick you!) and in on a Jeffery.

Thank you for the tips!

-T

Reply to
Todd