pine cone question

Hi All,
My Ponderosa Pine in my back yard has its first pine cones. Five in a ring at the top. They are about 3 inches long and 1-1/2 inch wide.
I would eventually like to sprout my own new trees from the seeds. Is there some rules as to when to pick them?
And can I plant them immediately, or do I have to wait for next spring?
Many thanks, -T
Yes, I am a proud father!
Todd wrote:

If you're over forty you'll likely expire before those seeds become trees. http://homeguides.sfgate.com/grow-ponderosa-pines-seed-46621.html http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinus_ponderosa
On 05/31/2014 05:23 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

Thank you for the links!
They grow a foot a year by the way.
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
the riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped
On 05/31/2014 05:23 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

Hi Brooklyn1,
Just read over the first link. Those seeds really get pampered! Bet they have no clue how their cousins in the wild live!
Thank you again for the tips!
-T
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
the riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped
Todd wrote: ...

when they fall they're ready. they might need fire/heat or smoke in some manner to either open the cone or encourage germination.
songbird
On 05/31/2014 06:16 AM, songbird wrote:

Hi Songbird,
I know that Ponderosas do open without fire. Lodge pones, like in Yellowstone, do need fire.
I have tried to get some seeds from the wild, but the squirrels get to them first.
You can tell a Jeffery Pine from a Ponderosa, as the stickers on the cone go out and a Ponderosa (they will stick you!) and in on a Jeffery.
Thank you for the tips!
-T
--
the riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped